on Selecting Good Messenger Bag

• Thread starter bacte2013
  • Start date
In summary, the person is a college sophomore with double majors in mathematics and microbiology who is looking for a messenger bag to carry a 15-inch MacBook Pro, iPad4, and 2-3 mathematics textbooks. They mention being tired of using a backpack and ask for suggestions. The other person suggests sticking with a backpack for better weight distribution and recommends checking out bike stores or sporting goods stores for messenger bags. They also caution about the weight of the bag causing potential back problems.
bacte2013
Dear PF friends,

I am a college sophomore in US with double majors in mathematics and microbiology. I know this is so sudden question to ask, but I have a trouble selecting a good messenger bag for myself (Amazon has so many but I cannot get the clear idea). I am looking for one that can fit my 15inch Macbook Pro, iPad4, and 2~3 mathematics textbooks (Rudin PMA, Apostol Mathematical Analysis, etc.). I am actually tired of backpack...PK

Physics news on Phys.org
That's a fair amount of weight for one shoulder.

I think your best bet is still a backpack where the weight is more evenly distributed.

I say this because I hurt my shoulder once by carrying too much weight on it.

In any event, checkout a bike store or a sporting goods store. They usually have a selection of bike messenger bags by Timbuktu but be aware the bag will have some weight as well if its well made.

Likes Ryan_m_b
jedishrfu said:
That's a fair amount of weight for one shoulder.

I think your best bet is still a backpack where the weight is more evenly distributed.

I say this because I hurt my shoulder once by carrying too much weight on it.
I second that. A heavy messenger back can cause some back problems.

1. What are the most important factors to consider when selecting a good messenger bag?

The most important factors to consider when selecting a good messenger bag include the size and capacity, durability and material, comfort and ergonomics, organization and storage, and style and design.

2. How do I determine the appropriate size and capacity for a messenger bag?

The appropriate size and capacity for a messenger bag will depend on your specific needs and usage. Consider the items you will be carrying and choose a bag that can comfortably fit them without being too bulky or heavy.

3. What materials are best for a durable messenger bag?

Materials like canvas, nylon, and leather are commonly used for messenger bags and are known for their durability. When selecting a material, make sure it is thick, tear-resistant, and water-resistant to withstand daily wear and tear.

4. How important is comfort and ergonomics in a messenger bag?

Comfort and ergonomics are crucial in a messenger bag, especially if you will be carrying it for extended periods. Look for a bag with padded straps, a breathable back panel, and adjustable features to distribute weight evenly and reduce strain on your body.

5. What should I look for in terms of organization and storage in a messenger bag?

Organization and storage are essential in a messenger bag to keep your items easily accessible and prevent them from getting lost or damaged. Look for a bag with multiple compartments, pockets, and sleeves to keep your belongings organized and secure.