1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Please help out with a derivative

1. Aug 4, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

sin-13x+ln sqrt(x) sqrt(sec x)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have a very long solution, which is hard to type in. My final answer is:
    -3cos3x/sin23x + (1+xtanx)/2x

I don't check it with a derivative calculator because usually it makes mistakes. I ask someone to solve the problem and see if this is the right answer.
    Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2010 #2
  4. Aug 4, 2010 #3
    This is very interesting....My answer is completely different from the given on the website. I also tweaked a formula, however, it doesn't help, the answer is still far off mine.
    Can anyone solve the derivative please by hand?....

5. Aug 4, 2010 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

It would help if you clarified exactly what the function is. Your notation is a bit ambiguous. Besides the question about the log that Raskolnikov raised, is the first term the arcsin or is it the reciprocal of sin? That notation usually means arcsin 3x, but you've interpreted it as 1/sin 3x.

6. Aug 4, 2010 #5
    I love WolframAlpha. There's an option to show the solution for the derivation. Just click the option "show steps" located on the upper-right corner of the Derivative box where it displays the answer.

7. Aug 4, 2010 #6
    My bad.

the original formula is

sin-1(3x)+ln [sqrt(xsecx)]

8. Aug 4, 2010 #7

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The first term means arcsin 3x, not 1/(sin 3x). So try differentiating that.

Differentiating the second term is a bit simpler if you use a properties of the log to rewrite it as

[tex]\log \sqrt{x \sec x} = \log (x \sec x)^{1/2} = \frac{1}{2} \log (x \sec x) = \frac{1}{2} (\log x + \log \sec x)[/tex]

9. Aug 5, 2010 #8

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Sometimes W|A integrates oddly though... I once saw it do four u-subs to the same variable chain, when a simple parts integral would suffice.

10. Aug 5, 2010 #9
    true true...probably some programming miscalculation. it's still a nice site on a whole though. and wolfram's mathematica site is pretty useful too.

11. Aug 5, 2010 #10
    Based on your suggestion, I got:

arcsin 3x+1/2(logx+logsecx)
    3/(sqrt(1-(3x)2)+1/(2x)+1/(2secx)*tanx

Am I right?

12. Aug 5, 2010 #11

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Close. The derivative of sec(x) is sec(x)tan(x), not just tan(x), in the last part.

13. Aug 5, 2010 #12
    OK, so the last part of my equation is

tanx/2secxtanx=1/2secx

?
    Thank you!

14. Aug 5, 2010 #13

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Not quite. Originally, you wrote 1/sec(x) * tan(x). This was close, but it needs to be (1/sec(x))(sec(x)tan(x)).

Consider this little fact:

[tex]\left(log\left(f\left(x\right)\right)\right)'=\frac{f'(x)}{f(x)}[/tex]

So, since f(x)=sec(x), f'(x)=sec(x)tan(x).

15. Aug 5, 2010 #14
    How silly I am.
    After I make these changes, I have:

3/(sqrt(1-(3x)2) +1/(2x) +tanx/2

Is this the final answer?

16. Aug 6, 2010 #15

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Looks good to me.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook