1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please Help?Preliminary Problem

1. Sep 9, 2010 #1
    Please Help???Preliminary Problem

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two vectors A and B are defined as follows, A(10cm, 35degrees) and B(8cm,110degrees). Use a protractor, a ruler and graph papers to do this exercise. The lines must be drawn to scale.

a. Sketch vector A and sketch vector B using the same origin.
    b. Use a different graph paper for this exercise. Use the head to tail method to sketch R=A+B. Measure the magnitude and direction of R using your ruler and protractor and record them on your sketch.
    c. Use a different graph paper for this exercise. Use the head to tail method to sketch R=A-B. Measure the magnitude and direction of R using your ruler and protractor and record them on your sketch.

2. Relevant equations

im not sure.....

3. The attempt at a solution

so do i just do add or subtract the degrees and use the cos and sin format to do it and how do i suppose to do this.....I am really stuck and confuse...to be honest, my mind is blank

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2010 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Re: Please Help???Preliminary Problem

No, you don't use trig functions. You use graph paper to solve these graphically.

Show us your sketch for the first question. Then show how you can draw A+B with the head-to-tail method.

4. Sep 9, 2010 #3

my mind is blank....how do i start like how :-(

5. Sep 9, 2010 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

a. Sketch vector A and sketch vector B using the same origin.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook