1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help projectile motion problem

1. Sep 26, 2008 #1
    Please help!! projectile motion problem..

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a student throws a water balloon vertically downward fromt he top of a building; the balloon leaves the thrower's hand with a velocity of 10 m/s.
    1.what will be its velocity after falling for 2 seconds?
    2.what will be its velocity after falling 10 meters?
    3.If it moved a distance of 1 meter while int he throwers' hand, find it's accelereation while in his hand.

2. Relevant equations

d=(vi+vf)t

a= (vf-vi)/t
    3. The attempt at a solution

I think i can get the answers to 1 and 2. I'm clueless on #3.
    thank you for all help!!! greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2008 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Re: Please help!! projectile motion problem..

Your second equation will find the velocity after 2 seconds, but your first equation neglects to take into account the acceleration of gravity.

Consider using the relationship that vf2 = vi2 + 2a*x for part 2.

As to your third question, you have the distance, and initial V was at rest and final V is 10m/s so ... use the same equation to figure a.

4. Sep 27, 2008 #3
    Re: Please help!! projectile motion problem..

Thank you LowlyPion. I greatly appreciates your fast help. I have the problem solved with no problem. Thanks. however, I do have a another problem just posted. if you can take a look and help me..thank you for your time and help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?