:Prove BV function bounded and integrable

In summary, f is considered to be of bounded variation on the interval [a;b] if there exists a number K such that the sum of the absolute differences between f evaluated at each point and the previous point is less than or equal to K. The smallest value of K is known as the total variation of f. The statement wants to prove that if f is of bounded variation on [a;b], then it is also integrable on [a;b]. The attempt at a solution involves using the triangle inequality and a proof by contradiction, but the integrability is still uncertain.
kfdleb

Homework Statement

f is of bounded variation on [a;b] if there exist a number K such that

[tex]\sum[/tex][tex]^{n}_{k=1}[/tex]|f(ak)-f(ak-1)| [tex]\leq[/tex]K

a=a_0<a_1<...<a_n=b; the smallest K is the total variation of f

I need to prove that
2) if f is of bounded variation on [a;b], then it is integrable on [a;b]

2. The attempt at a solution

i thought of using triangle inequation such that
0<=|f(b)-f(a)|<=[tex]\sum[/tex][tex]^{n}_{k=1}[/tex]|f(ak)-f(ak-1)| [tex]\leq[/tex]K

i did prove that f is bounded by contradiction that K is real, not infinite, nevertheless I'm not sure abt proving integrability
any help is really appreciated
thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have a bounded function on a finite measure space...

1. What is a BV function?

A BV function, also known as a function of bounded variation, is a type of function that is defined on a closed interval and has a finite total variation. This means that the function has a finite number that represents the sum of the absolute values of the differences between consecutive values of the function on the interval.

2. How can I determine if a function is BV?

To prove that a function is BV, you need to show that it is both bounded and integrable. This can be done by calculating the total variation of the function on a given interval and ensuring that it is finite. You can also use the definition of BV to check if a function meets the criteria.

3. Why is it important to prove that a function is BV?

Proving that a function is BV is important because it allows us to use techniques from real analysis and measure theory to study the behavior of the function. BV functions have many useful properties that make them valuable in various fields of mathematics, including differential equations and optimization.

4. Can a function be both unbounded and BV?

No, a function cannot be both unbounded and BV. The definition of BV requires that the function be bounded, meaning that its values do not approach infinity. If a function is unbounded, it will not meet the criteria for being BV.

5. What is the relationship between BV and integrable functions?

All BV functions are also integrable, but not all integrable functions are BV. This means that if a function is BV, it is also integrable, but the converse is not necessarily true. BV functions have a finite total variation, while integrable functions only need to have a finite integral on a given interval.