Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help proving this Bessel identity.

1. Nov 23, 2009 #1
    I have been working on this for a few days and cannot prove this:

J-3/2 (x)=[tex]\sqrt{\frac{2}{\pi x}}[/tex][[tex]\frac{-cos(x)}{x}[/tex] - sin(x) ]

Main reason is [tex]\Gamma[/tex](n-3/2+1) give a negative value for n=0 and possitive value for n=1,2,3.... I cannot find a series representation of this gamma function.

Please advice me how to solve this problem. This is not a school homework.

thanks a million

Alan

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2009 #2
    Maybe instead of the series representation for the Bessel function: show that your right-hand side satisfies Bessel's differential equation, and has the proper initial values, so that it therefore equals the Bessel function required.

4. Nov 24, 2009 #3
    For n > 0 we apply this formula
    [tex]\Gamma (n+1) = n \Gamma (n)[/tex]

but if n < 0 we apply this formula
    [tex]\Gamma (n)=\frac{\Gamma (n+1)}{n}[/tex]

5. Nov 24, 2009 #4
    I know this formula!!!!!!! This is embarassing!!!! How can I over looked this and spent 3 days on this.....Even joined two more math forums!!!! I even plug in the numbers and hope this is not that simple!!!! I use

[tex]\Gamma (-3/2)=\frac{\Gamma (-1/2)}{-3/2}[/tex] all the time!!! Just never try with n in it!!!!

Thanks a million.......Even though you make me look really really bad!!!!!

Cheers.
    Alan

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook