Please help proving this Bessel identity.

In summary, J-3/2 (x)=\sqrt{\frac{2}{\pi x}}[\frac{-cos(x)}{x} - sin(x) ] does not have a series representation of the gamma function and can instead be solved using the formula \Gamma (n)=\frac{\Gamma (n+1)}{n} for n < 0. The person seeking help had overlooked this simple solution and spent three days trying to find a more complex solution.
yungman
I have been working on this for a few days and cannot prove this:

J-3/2 (x)=[tex]\sqrt{\frac{2}{\pi x}}[/tex][[tex]\frac{-cos(x)}{x}[/tex] - sin(x) ]

Main reason is [tex]\Gamma[/tex](n-3/2+1) give a negative value for n=0 and possitive value for n=1,2,3... I cannot find a series representation of this gamma function.

Please advice me how to solve this problem. This is not a school homework.

thanks a million

Alan

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe instead of the series representation for the Bessel function: show that your right-hand side satisfies Bessel's differential equation, and has the proper initial values, so that it therefore equals the Bessel function required.

yungman said:
Main reason is [tex]\Gamma[/tex](n-3/2+1) give a negative value for n=0 and possitive value for n=1,2,3... I cannot find a series representation of this gamma function.

Please advice me how to solve this problem. This is not a school homework.

thanks a million

Alan

For n > 0 we apply this formula
[tex]\Gamma (n+1) = n \Gamma (n)[/tex]

but if n < 0 we apply this formula
[tex]\Gamma (n)=\frac{\Gamma (n+1)}{n}[/tex]

matematikawan said:
For n > 0 we apply this formula
[tex]\Gamma (n+1) = n \Gamma (n)[/tex]

but if n < 0 we apply this formula
[tex]\Gamma (n)=\frac{\Gamma (n+1)}{n}[/tex]

I know this formula! This is embarassing! How can I over looked this and spent 3 days on this...Even joined two more math forums! I even plug in the numbers and hope this is not that simple! I use

[tex]\Gamma (-3/2)=\frac{\Gamma (-1/2)}{-3/2}[/tex] all the time! Just never try with n in it!

Thanks a million...Even though you make me look really really bad!

Cheers.
Alan

1. What is a Bessel identity?

A Bessel identity is a mathematical equation that expresses the relationship between Bessel functions and other mathematical functions. It is often used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving waves and oscillations.

2. Why is it important to prove a Bessel identity?

Proving a Bessel identity is important because it allows us to verify its validity and ensure that it can be used in various mathematical and scientific applications. It also helps to deepen our understanding of the underlying principles and connections between different mathematical functions.

3. How do you prove a Bessel identity?

To prove a Bessel identity, you need to use various mathematical techniques and properties to manipulate the equation and show that both sides are equal. This often involves using trigonometric identities, integration, and other advanced mathematical methods.

4. What are some applications of Bessel identities?

Bessel identities have a wide range of applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. They are used to solve problems involving wave propagation, heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics. They also play a crucial role in the theory of special functions and orthogonal polynomials.

5. Are there any variations of the Bessel identity?

Yes, there are multiple variations of the Bessel identity, each expressing a different relationship between Bessel functions and other mathematical functions. Some common variations include the Bessel addition theorem, Bessel multiplication theorem, and Bessel differential equation. These variations are often used in different contexts and have their own unique properties and applications.