1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help.[quantum]

1. Nov 19, 2007 #1
    Please urgent help.[quantum]

I have a homework I have tried a lot of thinks but I couldnot manage to solve.

problem: for two particle j1 = 2 ; j2 = 1 and the condition is m=m1 + m2 = 2.
    by using Clebsch Gordan coefficients for the possible states !22> and !32>, create a matrix which will be a 2x2 matix lest say U and create j square for the system.
    find the matrix product U(transpose).j(square).U.
    I know that this pruduct will be the identity matris I if you take the h(bar) as 1
    I have created the matrix U that is -squareroot(1/3) squareroot(2/3)

squareroot(2/3) squareroot(1/3)

but I have problem with the j(square)

I know the j(square)= j1(square) + j2(square) + [(j1-.j2+) + (j1-.j2+)] + 2j1z.j2z

here j1- and j2- are lowering and j1+ and j2+ are rising optrs.

please someone help me with the building of j(square) matris. I really have done whatever I can do.
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2007 #2
    for example for j1(square) matrix elements are j1(j1+1) that is 6 in the diagonal of 2x2 matris and off diagonal elements are zero.
  4. Nov 20, 2007 #3
    please someone help me. I really worked on this problem.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?