1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help quick, calc help (limits)

1. Nov 12, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two questions

lim as n -> infinity

(1^k + 2^k + ... + n^k) / n^(k+1)

and

lim as n -> infinity

1/(n+1) + 1/(n+2) + ... + 1/2n

2. Relevant equations
    Definitions of limits, laws of exponents etc.

3. The attempt at a solution

Well I think I have them both solved but it seems too easy therefore I think I did something wrong or am missing something.

I think they are both zero.

The first one you can rewrite the term in the limit as

(1^k)/(n^(k+1)) + ... + (n^k)/(n^(k+1))

If you take the limit as n goes to infinity of each of these, then they all go to zero.

I am not quite sure I can do this, or argue this that way, but it is the only thing that comes to mind.

For the second question, I do the same thing. Take the limit as n goes to infinity of each term. Since they all go to 0 the entire limit goes to zero.

Please let me know if my reasoning is correct.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2008 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

One quick santiy check -- use Excel to do a few examples of each summation...

Start with n=10, then cut and paste to make n=20, etc. Do you see a trend?

4. Nov 12, 2008 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

BTW, you will need a column for n, and a column for the numerator of the nth term, and a column for the denominator of the nth term, and a column for the quotient of the nth term, and then a sum over that last column down at the bottom.

5. Nov 12, 2008 #4
    Yea they don't look to be zero, the first one looks like 1/3 and the second one looks like... well I don't know with n = 200 it was like .69 and n = 300 it was over 1.

Can you please give me a hint on how to actually solve these guys?

6. Nov 12, 2008 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You must have taken k=2 for the first one, right? They are both Riemann sums which become exact in the limit as n -> infinity. The first one is the integral from 0 to 1 of x^k. The second one is the integral from 1 to 2 of 1/x. The first one depends on k, but if k=2 it's 1/3. That's how I knew you used k=2. The second is ln(2)=0.693... Good job using Excel (yuck!). Very brave. Review Riemann sums and see how this works, ok?

7. Nov 12, 2008 #6
    Dick thank you very much for your response. I owe ya one, how about next time you need Excel help I'm your guy!

8. Nov 12, 2008 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually the once or twice in my life I've actually used a spreadsheet, I used Openoffice Calc. But I'm sure you can you can handle that as well. I'll keep you in mind.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?