Please help.regarding drag force and Newton

In summary, the conversation is about finding the solution to an equation of motion using Newton's law of motion and the concept of terminal velocity. The solution involves solving a differential equation and using the method of substitution for integration. However, the conversation also delves into more advanced topics such as differential equations and integration, which may require further study. Additionally, there is a mention of using LaTeX for writing mathematical equations in documents.
Mag|cK
Hello, please help me I have a question regarding drag force and Newton's law of motion.
This is quotes from online pdf files from University of Toronto Scarborough.

"the terminal velocity is F/b , where b is drag constant

Let’s solve the equation of motion and see how
this is reflected in the solution. Newton's law
reads

m (dv(t)/dt) = F - b v(t)

which we have written entirely in terms of the
velocity v(t) and its first derivative.

How to solve this? Well, if F were zero, we
would have dv/dt=–(b/m)v, which has its solution
some constant times exp(-bt/m). By inspection,
we find that we can account for nonzero F by
simply adding a constant, F/b. That is,

v(t) = F/b + (constant)exp(-bt/m)
--------------------------------------

Now what i don't understand is the last paragraph, and where the last equation came from. Can anyone explain more clearly? Please help :smile: Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
A clue: http://www.sosmath.com/diffeq/first/lineareq/lineareq.html" [Broken].

Last edited by a moderator:
Thx for the reply.
Hmm, i am still in high school, but already learned differential and integration. Do i need to learn first about something i don't learn in high school?
If so what is the topic title? Or maybe u can teach me if its possible?
thx

Mag|cK said:
Thx for the reply.
Hmm, i am still in high school, but already learned differential and integration. Do i need to learn first about something i don't learn in high school?
If so what is the topic title? Or maybe u can teach me if its possible?
thx

Have you learned the method of substitution for integration?

i don't think so. Is there any websites that teach that?
thx

Mag|cK said:
i don't think so. Is there any websites that teach that?
thx

Another question: do you know how to find

[tex]\int \frac{1}{x} dx?[/tex]

It seems you already know the solution to the simplest type of diff.equations, that is the one of the type: du/dt=ku, having u(t)=Ae^(kt) as its general solution.

Now, ask yourself:
What would be the next simplest type of a solution to a diff.eq?
At least my intuition says this would be a function of the form:
[tex]U(t)=A+Be^{kt}[/tex], where A,B and k are constants.

Let us see what sort of differential equation such a function satisfies!
1. We have that [itex]\frac{dU}{dt}=kBe^{kt}[/itex]
2. We can convert the right-hand side of 1. into an expression involving U itself as follows:
[tex]U=A+Be^{kt}\to{B}e^{kt}=U-A[/tex]
3. Thus, we may insert 2. into 1, and gain:
[tex]\frac{dU}{dt}=k(U-A)=C+kU, C=-kA[/tex]
4. Note that our equation 3 is a DIFFERENTIAL equation of the general form:
[tex]\frac{dU}{dt}=A+BU[/tex]
But conversely, this ought to entail that we now can SOLVE such diff.eqs, gaining solutions similar to the function we studied in 1.-3.!
We'll see that this is indeed the case:
We may rewrite 4. as:
[tex]\frac{dU}{dt}=B(\frac{A}{B}+U)[/tex]
Now, let us define a new function: [tex]Y(t)=\frac{A}{B}+U[/tex]
Now, note that by differentiation, we have the identity: [itex]\frac{dY}{dt}=\frac{dU}{dt}[/itex]

Thus, reconverting our diff.eq in terms of Y, rather than U, we get:
[tex]\frac{dY}{dt}=BY\to{Y}(t)=Ce^{Bt}\to{U}(t)=Y(t)-\frac{A}{B}=Ce^{Bt}-\frac{A}{B}[/tex]
and we see that this is a solution of the form described in 1.-3.

George Jones said:
Another question: do you know how to find

[tex]\int \frac{1}{x} dx?[/tex]

yes, ln x + c

"It seems you already know the solution to the simplest type of diff.equations, that is the one of the type: du/dt=ku, having u(t)=Ae^(kt) as its general solution."

Arildno, No i haven't known that :frown:

Your equation is

m dv/dt = F - b v.

Proceeding very informally, treat dv as one symbol, and dt as another. First, divide both sides of the above, by the right side of the above, and then multiply both sides dt.

What do you get?

If you haven't yet done differentiation and integration of exponentials, logs, trig function etc, yet you are getting a little bit ahead of yourself with this equation.

Not that any of those topics are "hard", but there is a far amount of detail to remember, so you have to start somewhere and take it one step at a time. Most differential equations in physics, biology, etc involve exponentials and trig functions, so it makes sense for your courses to leave the topic of "differential equations" till after you have done integration and differentiation of those functions.

George Jones said:
Your equation is

m dv/dt = F - b v.

Proceeding very informally, treat dv as one symbol, and dt as another. First, divide both sides of the above, by the right side of the above, and then multiply both sides dt.

What do you get?

(m dv)/(F - bv)=dt

Btw, is there any program downloads from the internet specially made to write mathematical equations that i can easily put on microsoft word or other applications?

Mag|cK said:
Btw, is there any program downloads from the internet specially made to write mathematical equations that i can easily put on microsoft word or other applications?
There is http://www.latex-project.org/" [Broken], the engine this forum uses to format mathematics. You can't put equations into Word with it, but you can generate documents separately.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mag|cK said:
(m dv)/(F - bv)=dt

Let v_0 be the speed of the particle at time t_0, and v be the speed of the particle at time t. Tkake this into account by integrating: (over v) the right side of the above equation from v = v_0 to v = v; the left side from t = t_0 to t = t.

[tex]\int_{v_0}^v \frac{m}{F - bv} dv = \int_{t_0}^{t} dt[/tex]

Can you do these integrations? Remember, m, F, and b are constants.

George Jones said:
Let v_0 be the speed of the particle at time t_0, and v be the speed of the particle at time t. Tkake this into account by integrating: (over v) the right side of the above equation from v = v_0 to v = v; the left side from t = t_0 to t = t.

[tex]\int_{v_0}^v \frac{m}{F - bv} dv = \int_{t_0}^{t} dt[/tex]

Can you do these integrations? Remember, m, F, and b are constants.

i haven't learned that kind of integration. :frown: is there any website that can teach me that?

Mag|cK said:
i haven't learned that kind of integration. :frown: is there any website that can teach me that?

Let's look at

[tex]\int \frac{m}{F - bv} dv.[/tex]

The denominator is a bit messy, thus set u = F - bv, so u is function v. Find du/dv and rearrange this to find dv. In the the integral, substitute u for the denominator, and also substitute for dv.

What does the integral look like now?

George Jones said:
Let's look at

[tex]\int \frac{m}{F - bv} dv.[/tex]

The denominator is a bit messy, thus set u = F - bv, so u is function v. Find du/dv and rearrange this to find dv. In the the integral, substitute u for the denominator, and also substitute for dv.

What does the integral look like now?

is F constant? I come up with -(m/b) ln u +c

Mag|cK said:
is F constant?

For consistency, all the terms in

m dv/dt = F - b v

must have the same units. Since the right side has the units of force, both F and bv must have units of force. F is a constant force, like the force of gravity on a particle near the Earth's surface.

I come up with -(m/b) ln u +c

Good.

Now change the u back to F - bv and evaluate the resulting expression at the endpoints of the integration interval.

George Jones said:
Now change the u back to F - bv and evaluate the resulting expression at the endpoints of the integration interval.

I haven't learned about definite integral or integration intervals. I'll come back after i learned it. Thx a lot!

Mag|cK said:
I haven't learned about definite integral or integration intervals.

Suppose

[tex]\int f \left( x \right) dx = F \left( x \right) + c.[/tex]

Then,

[tex]\int_a^b f \left( x \right) dx = F \left( b \right) - F \left( a \right).[/tex]

Geometrically, this is the area bounded by the curve f(x), the vertical lines x = a and x = b, and the x-axis.

Example: [itex] f \left(x \right) = x^2.[/itex]

[tex]\int_2^5 x^2 dx = \frac{5^3}{3} - \frac{2^3}{3} = 39.[/tex]

well then how to transform -(m/b) ln u +c into integrals with intervals. We just got rid of the integrals right?

Mag|cK said:
well then how to transform -(m/b) ln u +c into integrals with intervals. We just got rid of the integrals right?

After replacing [itex]u[/itex], we have

[tex]\int \frac{m}{F - bv} dv = - \frac{m}{b} ln \left( F - bv \right) + c.[/tex]

1. What is drag force?

Drag force is a type of resistance that acts on an object as it moves through a fluid, such as air or water. It is caused by the interaction between the object and the fluid, and it acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion.

2. How is drag force calculated?

The formula for drag force is FD = ½ρAv2CD, where ρ is the density of the fluid, A is the object's cross-sectional area, v is the object's velocity, and CD is the drag coefficient. The drag coefficient takes into account the shape and surface properties of the object.

3. What is the relationship between drag force and velocity?

The drag force on an object is directly proportional to the square of its velocity. This means that as the velocity increases, the drag force also increases. This relationship is described by the equation FD ∝ v2.

4. How does Newton's second law relate to drag force?

Newton's second law states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration (F = ma). In the case of drag force, the acceleration is in the opposite direction of the object's motion and depends on the object's mass and the strength of the drag force.

5. How can drag force be reduced?

There are a few ways to reduce drag force on an object. One way is to reduce the object's velocity, as drag force is directly proportional to velocity. Another way is to change the object's shape to reduce its cross-sectional area and alter its drag coefficient. Finally, using a smooth and streamlined surface can also help reduce drag force.