PLEASE help Simple question on FBD assumption

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fbd
In summary, the truss has reactions in the x,y directions at B and a reaction in the x direction at C. However, the x-reactions at B and C are in opposite directions, which leads to a conflict.
Saladsamurai
So I have this problem and I can't move on until i got this assumption cleared up. Looking at this truss
Picture1.png

If we look at the entire truss' FBD we have reactions in the x,y directions at
B and a reaction in the x direction at C.

Now I know by inspection that C_x and B_x are in the same direction (in the negative x direction). But, for the sake of consistency I will assume that all forces are in the POSITIVE direction. After solving my equations of equilibrium, I know that a negative sign will mean that the assumed direction was incorrect.

I solved for C_x directly by taking the moments about B.
[tex]\sum M_B=0\Rightarrow 1(10)+2(8)+2(C_x)=0\Rightarrow C_x=-13kN[/tex]

The neg sign shows that C_x is indeed leftwards. Now to find B_x I used Sum of Forces.
this time I used the REVISED sense of C_x and the ASSUMED sense of B_x:

This gives me [tex]B_x-13kN=0\Rightarrow B_x=13kN[/tex] which seems to be a conflict. Why would B_x be positive. Clearly it should have the same sign as C_x.

Where have I gone completely awry?

Physics news on Phys.org
The x-reactions at B and C are in opposite directions. B is under tension, while C is in compression. The two load P1 and P2 pivot about B, pushing on C.

In contrast, load P1 and P2 pivot about C pulling on B.

One has to calculate the moments about B and C, due to P1, P2 and the other reaction.

There is a vertical reaction at B, which is just the sum of P1 and P2, since the roller at C provides no reaction.

Astronuc said:
The x-reactions at B and C are in opposite directions. B is under tension, while C is in compression. The two load P1 and P2 pivot about B, pushing on C.

In contrast, load P1 and P2 pivot about C pulling on B.

One has to calculate the moments about B and C, due to P1, P2 and the other reaction.

There is a vertical reaction at B, which is just the sum of P1 and P2, since the roller at C provides no reaction.

Yeah Nuc! Thanks! I have always trusted the math over my intuition and it is a problem such as this that confirms my trust in math over myself! It seems like I have to make every mistake that exists at least once before I can predict future ones of the like.

Hopefully that will change, otherwise I will make a lethal engineer!:uhh:

1. What is FBD assumption and why is it important in science?

FBD (Free Body Diagram) assumption is a simplification technique used in physics to analyze the motion of objects. It involves isolating an object of interest and drawing a diagram to represent all the external forces acting on it. This assumption is important because it allows scientists to understand and predict the behavior of objects in motion, which is crucial in many fields of science such as mechanics, engineering, and astronomy.

2. How do you create a FBD diagram?

To create a FBD diagram, you first need to identify the object of interest and all the external forces acting on it. These forces can include gravity, applied forces, and friction. Then, draw a simple diagram of the object and label each force with an arrow pointing in the direction of its action. The length of the arrow represents the magnitude of the force.

3. Can FBD assumption be applied to all types of objects?

Yes, FBD assumption can be applied to all types of objects, regardless of their size, shape, or composition. It is a universal technique used in physics to analyze the motion of objects, from a small ball rolling down a slope to a planet orbiting around a star.

4. How accurate is FBD assumption in predicting the motion of objects?

FBD assumption is a simplification technique, so it may not accurately predict the exact motion of objects in real-world scenarios. However, it provides a good approximation and helps scientists understand the general behavior and patterns of objects in motion.

5. Are there any limitations to using FBD assumption?

One limitation of FBD assumption is that it does not take into account the internal forces within an object, such as tension or compression. It also assumes that all forces are acting in a single plane, which may not always be the case. Additionally, FBD assumption may not be applicable to objects in complex systems with multiple interacting forces.