How Do You Calculate the Total Acceleration of a Car on a Circular Path?

In summary, a car initially at rest moves along a circular path with a constant tangential acceleration of 2.07 m/s2 and a radius of 48.1 m. After traveling 1/4 of the circumference, the speed of the car is 1.034 m/s and the radial acceleration is 0.08894 m/s2. The total acceleration at this point is ? m/s with a direction ?° east of south.
jab2102

Homework Statement

A car that is initially at rest moves along a circular path with a constant tangential acceleration component of 2.07 m/s2. The circular path has a radius of 48.1 m. The initial position of the car is at the far west location on the circle and the initial velocity is to the north.
(a) After the car has traveled 1/4 of the circumference, what is the speed of the car?
? m/s

(b) At this point, what is the radial acceleration component of the car?
? m/s2

(c) At this same point, what is the total acceleration of the car?
magnitude ? m/s
direction ?° east of south

Homework Equations

(final velocity)^2 = (initial velocity)^2 + 2(angular acceleration)(angle)

tangental acceleration = radius x angular acceleration

radial acceleration = (angular velocity)^2 x radius

The Attempt at a Solution

a) So what I've done for a) is first put take the tangential acceleration and get the angular acceleration from that by doing... 2.07 m/s*2 / 48.1 m = .0430
Now I try to find the Vf... (final velocity)^2 = 2(.0430)(angle) BUT I don't know what to put in for the angle. Please help and I apologize for reposting this question!
Does angle equal (48.1)x(1/4)= 12.025?
If so then Vf= 1.034

Soo.. radial acceleration = (.0430)^2 x (48.1) which = .08894

Assuming all of this is right how would I calculate the total acceleration of the car and the degrees of the direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi jab2102! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
jab2102 said:
(final velocity)^2 = (initial velocity)^2 + 2(angular acceleration)(angle)

No, vf2 = vi2 + 2as becomes either

(final velocity)2= (initial velocity)2 + 2(tangential acceleration)(arc-distance)​

or

(final angular velocity)2= (initial angular velocity)2 + 2(angular acceleration)(angle) :wink:

1. What is tangential acceleration?

Tangential acceleration is the rate of change of tangential velocity, which is the component of velocity that is parallel to the object's motion.

2. How is tangential acceleration different from radial acceleration?

Tangential acceleration is the acceleration that occurs along the tangent of the object's circular motion, while radial acceleration is the acceleration towards the center of the circle. They are perpendicular to each other and together make up the total acceleration of an object in circular motion.

3. How is tangential acceleration calculated?

Tangential acceleration can be calculated using the formula at = rα, where a is the tangential acceleration, r is the radius of the circular path, and α is the angular acceleration.

4. What are some real-life examples of tangential acceleration?

Examples of tangential acceleration in everyday life include a car turning a corner, a roller coaster moving along a circular track, or a spinning top.

5. How can I solve a tangential acceleration problem?

To solve a tangential acceleration problem, you can use the formula at = rα or use the laws of motion, such as Newton's second law, to calculate the tangential acceleration. It is also important to clearly define the known and unknown variables in the problem and use appropriate units in your calculations.