Tension Pull problem w/friction

In summary, Jason was trying to solve a tension pull problem with friction, but was having trouble due to the lack of information on the coefficient of friction. After solving for the acceleration of the blocks and block individually, he was able to find the tension in the connecting rope.
cocomoj
Please Help! Tension Pull problem w/friction

Hello all, I am having a bit of trouble on this for some reason.

On a horizontal plane, a 10kg box and a 20kg box are tied together by a rope, and the 20kg box is being pulled by another rope with a force of 200N. The coefficient of friction is 0.500

1. What is the acceleration of the blocks?
2. What is the tension in the rope connecting the boxes?
3. What is the change in KE?
4. What is the change in thermal/internal energy of the block/floor
system?

I know the answers to the questions, but need to know how to find them, especially question #2.

Thanks in advance,
Jason

Physics news on Phys.org
I got as far as drawing the two free body diagrams. In box one and two I had figured friction force for them, but could not figure the tension force for them, so then I could not find the acceleration.

On box 1 (10kg) I got these values for the forces:

Weight(downward)= (0,-98)
Normal(upward)= (0,98)
Tension(to the right)= (?,0)
Friction(to the left)= (-49,0)

On box 2 (20kg) I got these values for the forces:

Weight(downward)= (0,-196)
Normal(upward)= (0,196)
Pull(to the right)= (200,0)
Tension(to the left)= (?,0)
Friction(to the left)= (-98,0)

To find the sum of the forces for the equation Fsum = ma I need the tension right? My question is how do I find it?

Oh yeah I forgot to put in the original equation that the 200N pull moves the blocks from rest over a distance of 2 meters.

Could someone please steer me in the right direction? I don't want anyone to do my work for me, I want to do it all, but my book is not explaining this concept to me.

Thanks,
Jason

First, look at the two blocks + the interconnecting rope as a single unit. This let's you ignore the unknown tension and solve for the acceleration A of the combined system.

Once you've done that, what do you know about a1 and a2 as compared to A?

Knowing a1 and a2 let's you look at each block individually and solve for the net force acting on the individual block, and using that you can find the tension in the connecting rope.

Thank You gnome, I finally figured it out. Not combining the two really threw me off. Thanks again.

1. What is the Tension Pull problem with friction?

The Tension Pull problem with friction is a physics problem that involves calculating the force required to pull an object at a constant velocity while taking into account the friction forces acting on the object.

2. How do you calculate the tension force in a Tension Pull problem with friction?

To calculate the tension force, you must first determine the net force acting on the object by subtracting the frictional force from the applied pulling force. Then, you can use Newton's Second Law (F=ma) to solve for the tension force.

3. What is the role of friction in a Tension Pull problem with friction?

Friction plays a critical role in a Tension Pull problem with friction because it acts in the opposite direction of the applied force and affects the overall motion of the object. Without taking friction into account, the calculated tension force may be inaccurate.

4. How does the coefficient of friction affect the tension force in a Tension Pull problem with friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of how rough the surfaces in contact are, and it determines the magnitude of the frictional force. A higher coefficient of friction will result in a larger frictional force, which will require a greater tension force to overcome in order to keep the object moving at a constant velocity.

5. Are there any assumptions made in solving a Tension Pull problem with friction?

Yes, there are a few assumptions made in solving a Tension Pull problem with friction. These include assuming that the surfaces in contact are rough and that the coefficient of friction remains constant throughout the motion of the object. Additionally, the problem assumes that the object is moving at a constant velocity, and that the tension force is applied at a constant angle.