Please help, thermodinamics exercise.

In summary, the conversation discusses the mixing of two rigid adiabatic containers containing the same ideal gas at different temperatures. The desired outcomes are the variation of the total internal energy of the gas and the final temperature after the containers are opened and the gas mixes. The speaker suggests using the formula U=nf RT/2 to calculate the internal energy of the gas in both containers and adding them together to find the final internal energy with a total of n1+n2 moles of gas. They also ask for assistance or guidance in solving the problem.
claudiadeluca
I tried but I cannot do it. Please help.

Two rigid adiabatic containers have inside the same ideal gas, respectively N1=3mol at a temperature T1=340K and N2=2mol at a temperature T2=280K. The two containers come into contact by opening a faucet, and the gas mixes, getting to a temperature T3.

Calculate:

1) the variation of the total internal energy of the gas.
2) the value of the final temperature T3.

I really need a hand, if you don't want to solve it please tell me how to do it. Any help is truly appreciated. Pardon the probably incorrect use of words, I'm not english.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here, I think the total internal energy will remain constant. Since U=nf RT/2, you can use that to find the internal energy of the gas in both the parts and add it up to find the final internal energy which will have n1+n2 moles of the gas.

Hello,

I understand that thermodynamics exercises can be challenging, but I am here to help you. First, let's review the concepts involved in this problem.

Thermodynamics is the study of the relationship between heat, work, and energy. In this exercise, we have two rigid adiabatic containers, which means that no heat can enter or leave the system. The containers have an ideal gas inside, which means that the gas particles do not interact with each other and have no volume.

Now, let's tackle the problem. To calculate the variation of the total internal energy of the gas, we need to use the first law of thermodynamics, which states that the change in internal energy (ΔU) is equal to the heat added (Q) minus the work done (W) on the system. Since the containers are adiabatic, there is no heat added or lost, so Q = 0. Additionally, since the containers are rigid, there is no change in volume, so W = 0. Therefore, the change in internal energy is also equal to 0. This means that the total internal energy of the gas remains constant throughout the process.

Next, let's calculate the final temperature T3. To do this, we can use the ideal gas law, which states that PV = nRT, where P is the pressure, V is the volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature. Since the containers are now connected, the volume and pressure will be the same for both containers. We can combine the two containers' ideal gas equations to get:

(P)(V1 + V2) = (n1 + n2)RT3

We can rearrange this equation to solve for T3:

T3 = (P)(V1 + V2) / (n1 + n2)R

Substituting the given values, we get:

T3 = (1 atm)(V1 + V2) / (N1 + N2)R

T3 = (1 atm)(1.5 mol) / (5 mol) (0.0821 L atm/mol K)

T3 = 0.3 atm (0.0821 L atm/mol K)

T3 = 0.02463 L atm / mol K

T3 = 294.1 K

Therefore, the final temperature T3 is 294.1

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, work, temperature, and energy.

2. What is the purpose of thermodynamics exercises?

The purpose of thermodynamics exercises is to apply the principles and laws of thermodynamics to solve problems and analyze systems in order to better understand how energy is transferred and transformed.

3. How do I solve a thermodynamics exercise?

To solve a thermodynamics exercise, you must first identify the knowns and unknowns, choose an appropriate thermodynamic law or equation, and apply it to the system. It is important to use proper units and pay attention to the direction of energy flow.

4. What are some common challenges when solving thermodynamics exercises?

Some common challenges when solving thermodynamics exercises include identifying the correct thermodynamic law or equation to use, correctly setting up the problem, and keeping track of units and signs. It is also important to check your final answer for reasonableness.

5. How can I improve my understanding of thermodynamics through exercises?

To improve your understanding of thermodynamics through exercises, it is important to practice regularly and to seek help when needed. You can also try to visualize the systems and processes being described in the exercises and relate them to real-world examples.