Calculate 0.98M CaCl2 to 0.23M Cl- Solution (mL)

• Thread starter iconwin
  • Start date
In summary, to prepare 341 mL of a 0.23 M chloride ion solution, you will need to dilute 40.0 mL of 0.98 M calcium chloride with water. This can be found by calculating the mol of chloride ions produced by one mol of calcium chloride and then using the molar ratio to determine the volume of calcium chloride needed. The conversation also mentions that this was the correct approach and the poster thanks the expert for their help.
iconwin
Calculate the following quantity:
Volume of 0.98 M calcium chloride (mL) that must be diluted with water to prepare 341 mL of a 0.23 M chloride ion solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to try first.

If I understand the problem correctly, I should find how many mol of chloride ions is produced by one mol of calcium chloride first. DO you think that is right?

That's possible approach. For sure you have to do it at some stage.

This is how i worked it out:
CaCl2 + 2H2O => Ca(OH)2 + 2HCl

Mol of Cl:
341mL * (1L/1000mL) * 0.23 mol/L= 0.078 mol of Cl

Vol. of CaCl2:
0.078 mol Cl * (1mol CaCl2/2mol Cl) * (1L/0.98 mol CaCl2) * (1000mL/1L) = 40.0 mL CaCl2

I TRIED HARD ON THIS... IS THIS THE RIGHT ANNSWER!

Looks OK.

Really!? Thanks.

By the way. I think I post this in the wrong section. If you can, please move this post to the proper section. I will read the regulations and follow them the next times.

1. How do you calculate the concentration of a solution?

The concentration of a solution is calculated by dividing the amount of solute (in moles) by the volume of solvent (in liters).

2. What is the difference between molarity and molality?

Molarity is the concentration of a solution expressed in moles of solute per liter of solution, while molality is the concentration expressed in moles of solute per kilogram of solvent.

3. How do you convert between molarity and molality?

Molarity (M) and molality (m) can be converted using the density of the solution (ρ) and the molar mass of the solute (M): m = M * ρ / 1000.

4. What is the formula for calculating the number of moles in a solution?

The formula is moles (n) = concentration (C) * volume (V).

5. How do you calculate the volume of a solution with a known concentration?

The volume of a solution can be calculated by dividing the amount of solute (in moles) by the concentration (in moles per liter).