1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please Help - Truss Analysis

1. Apr 1, 2006 #1
    Hi Guys,

I am having trouble determining the zero force members in the truss below. I am planing to use the method of joints to solve for the forces in the beams. So if I knew the zero force members it would be easy.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2006 #2

dav2008

Gold Member

I don't believe there are any zero-force members in that truss.

Do you know the criteria to look for when determining zero force members? Go through the truss and see if any of the joints meet the criteria.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2006
  4. Apr 2, 2006 #3
    That is what I thought as well. But then if you look at it this way:

The horizontal component of the force in member BI is conteracted by the horizontal force BC. Therefore what is the force HI doing?

5. Apr 2, 2006 #4
    There are no zero force members for this load arrangement. JD would be a zero force member if there was not a load applied at D.

There has to be equilibrium at each end of member BI. HI is balancing joint I and BC is working to balance joint B

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?