Truss Analysis: Solving for Zero Force Members using Method of Joints

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of determining zero force members in a truss using the method of joints. The participants agree that there are no zero force members in the given truss, but suggest looking for criteria at each joint to confirm. The horizontal force in member BI is countered by the force BC, making HI a balancing force in joint I. The conversation ends with the statement that there must be equilibrium at each end of member BI.
VooDoo
Hi Guys,

I am having trouble determining the zero force members in the truss below. I am planing to use the method of joints to solve for the forces in the beams. So if I knew the zero force members it would be easy.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    11.7 KB · Views: 493
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't believe there are any zero-force members in that truss.

Do you know the criteria to look for when determining zero force members? Go through the truss and see if any of the joints meet the criteria.

Last edited:
dav2008 said:
I don't believe there are any zero-force members in that truss.

Do you know the criteria to look for when determining zero force members? Go through the truss and see if any of the joints meet the criteria.
That is what I thought as well. But then if you look at it this way:

The horizontal component of the force in member BI is conteracted by the horizontal force BC. Therefore what is the force HI doing?

There are no zero force members for this load arrangement. JD would be a zero force member if there was not a load applied at D.

There has to be equilibrium at each end of member BI. HI is balancing joint I and BC is working to balance joint B

What is truss analysis?

Truss analysis is a method of calculating the internal forces and displacements of a truss structure under different loading conditions. It involves using equations and principles of statics to determine the stresses, strains, and deformations in each member of the truss.

Why is truss analysis important?

Truss analysis is important because it allows engineers to design safe and efficient truss structures for a variety of applications. It ensures that the truss can support the expected loads and does not fail under normal operating conditions.

What are the different types of truss analysis methods?

The three main types of truss analysis methods are the method of joints, method of sections, and graphical method. The method of joints involves analyzing the forces at each joint of the truss. The method of sections involves cutting the truss into sections and analyzing the forces in each section. The graphical method uses a graphical representation of the truss to calculate the internal forces.

What are the assumptions made in truss analysis?

There are several assumptions made in truss analysis, including the truss being made of rigid and weightless members, all joints are frictionless and hinged, and all loads are applied only at the joints. Additionally, truss analysis assumes that the truss is loaded within its elastic limit and that the materials used have a constant modulus of elasticity.

Are there any limitations of truss analysis?

Yes, there are some limitations to truss analysis. It does not take into account the bending and torsional effects on the truss members, which may be significant in some cases. Truss analysis also assumes that all external loads are applied only at the joints, which may not always be the case. Additionally, truss analysis is not suitable for analyzing non-linear or dynamic systems.