Using the Second Derivative Test

In summary, to find all relative extrema for the function H(x) = x * lnx, set H'(x) = 0 to find the critical points. Then, for each critical point, test the sign of H''(x) to determine if it is a maximum or minimum. The second derivative test states that if H''(x) < 0, then x is a relative maximum, and if H''(x) > 0, then x is a relative minimum. If H''(x) = 0 or undefined, the test is inconclusive.
BuBbLeS01

Homework Statement

Find all relative extrema using the second derivative test for H(x) = x * lnx

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

H'(x) = (1 * ln x) + (x * 1/x) = lnx + 1
H''(x) = 1/x + 0

Is H''(x) right? Then I am having trouble finding the relative extrema from the second derivative test?

Physics news on Phys.org
h''(x)=1/x

Okay so how do I solve for the relative extrema?

just try graphing the function and go from there. i don't remember what the second derevative test is, its been a long time. don't you have to set denominator =0 and solve x?if so x=0.

BuBbLeS01 said:
Okay so how do I solve for the relative extrema?

Set H'(x)=0 and solve for x to find the critical points. For each critical point x test the sign of H''(x) to see if it's a max or a min.

H"(x) = 0
I am having trouble finding the relative extrema from the second derivative test?

Set H'(x)=0 not H''(x)=0. Critical points are where H'(x)=0.

How do you solve lnx + 1 = 0 for x?

would it be...
lnx + 1 = 0
lnx = -1
x = e^-1

Then I would plug that into H" = 1/x, H" = 1/(e^-1) = e > 0 so its a relative max?

That's almost all exactly correct, except the final conclusion. How can you say H''(x)>0 at a critical point means it's a max?? Don't you have like a textbook or something?

H''(e^-1) > 0 means a relative max...thats what our book says to write? What do you mean? Is that wrong?

Either you should throw away your textbook or you should read it more carefully- that's exactly backwards!

Yea, for the second derivative tests things are sort of backwards.
If f"(c)<0, then x=c is a relative maximum.
If f"(c)>0, then x=c is a relative minimum.
f f"(c)=0 or undefined, then the second derivative test is inconclusive.

What is the Second Derivative Test?

The Second Derivative Test is a method used in calculus to determine the nature of critical points on a graph. It involves taking the second derivative of a function and analyzing its value at a critical point to determine whether it is a maximum, minimum, or saddle point.

How do you use the Second Derivative Test?

To use the Second Derivative Test, you must first find the critical points of a function by taking its first derivative and setting it equal to zero. Then, take the second derivative and plug in the critical point values. If the second derivative is positive, the critical point is a minimum. If the second derivative is negative, the critical point is a maximum. If the second derivative is zero, the test is inconclusive and further analysis is needed.

What is the purpose of the Second Derivative Test?

The purpose of the Second Derivative Test is to determine the nature of critical points on a graph. This information can be used to identify maximum and minimum points, which are important in optimization problems and finding the maximum or minimum value of a function.

Can the Second Derivative Test be used for all functions?

No, the Second Derivative Test can only be used for twice differentiable functions. This means that the function must have a second derivative that exists and is continuous. If a function does not meet this requirement, the Second Derivative Test cannot be used to determine the nature of its critical points.

Are there any limitations to the Second Derivative Test?

Yes, the Second Derivative Test has some limitations. It can only be used to determine the nature of critical points, not to find their exact values. It also does not work for all types of critical points, such as points on the boundary of a domain. In these cases, other methods must be used to analyze the behavior of the function.