1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please Help Vector Forces in 2D

1. Sep 15, 2005 #1
    A shopper pushes a 7.3 kg shopping cart up a 13° incline, as shown in Figure 5-21. Find the horizontal force, F, needed to give the cart an acceleration of 1.63 m/s2.

ok, here is the formula to find horizontal force:

sum Fx= F1x +F2x = F1 + F2cos(theta), which also =mAx

if there are no forces given, how do i calculate F2cos(13degrees) and F2sin(13degrees)???

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2005 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You would leave your answer in terms of the given symbols.

4. Sep 15, 2005 #3
    my answer is supposed to be in Newtons, but my question is how to calculate acceleration in the x direction??

5. Sep 15, 2005 #4

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Duh, I didn't read the problem statement very carefully. :tongue: Yes, you will get an answer in Newtons.

Instead of resorting to a canned formula, you should draw a free body diagram and write down equations for the sum of the forces in the x and y directions. You've got the normal force, the applied force, and gravity.

6. Sep 15, 2005 #5
    ok so normal force = mass of cart x acceleration of gravity: F=(7.3kg)(9.81 m/s2) = 71.613N, whats the applied force?

7. Sep 15, 2005 #6

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, because the cart is on an incline.

That's the unknown.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?