Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Please Help Vector Forces in 2D

1. Sep 15, 2005 #1
    A shopper pushes a 7.3 kg shopping cart up a 13° incline, as shown in Figure 5-21. Find the horizontal force, F, needed to give the cart an acceleration of 1.63 m/s2.

ok, here is the formula to find horizontal force:

sum Fx= F1x +F2x = F1 + F2cos(theta), which also =mAx

if there are no forces given, how do i calculate F2cos(13degrees) and F2sin(13degrees)???

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2005 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You would leave your answer in terms of the given symbols.

4. Sep 15, 2005 #3
    my answer is supposed to be in Newtons, but my question is how to calculate acceleration in the x direction??

5. Sep 15, 2005 #4

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Duh, I didn't read the problem statement very carefully. :tongue: Yes, you will get an answer in Newtons.

Instead of resorting to a canned formula, you should draw a free body diagram and write down equations for the sum of the forces in the x and y directions. You've got the normal force, the applied force, and gravity.

6. Sep 15, 2005 #5
    ok so normal force = mass of cart x acceleration of gravity: F=(7.3kg)(9.81 m/s2) = 71.613N, whats the applied force?

7. Sep 15, 2005 #6

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, because the cart is on an incline.

That's the unknown.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook