Help with Homework Assignment: Two Puzzling Questions

In summary, the conversation discusses two questions for a homework assignment. The first question asks for the acceleration and velocity of a mass with a force of 1 N acting on it for 1 s. The second question asks for an explanation of why roads on mountains have switchbacks and hairpin turns. The conversation includes some equations and theories, but ultimately concludes that sharp turns are necessary to conserve energy and make it easier to climb the mountain.
tucky
I am having a problem with two questions for my homework assignment.

1st question:

A force of 1 N acts on a mass of 1kg for a time of 1 s. (A)What is the acceleration of the mass? (B)What speed does the mass reach? (C)How far does the mass move?

Here is my answer but I think it is wrong:
(A) acceleration=1N/1kg = or 1 meter per second per second
(B) acceleration=change in velocity/time...I am not sure if that is the right equation to use
(C) velocity=change in average position/elapsed time ?

Then the second question that baffled me was:
in terms of power, explain why roads going up mountains are full of switchbacks and hairpin turn?

Is it something to do with the rate at which energy changes from on form to another?

I am really confused! Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by tucky

(A) acceleration=1N/1kg = or 1 meter per second per second

This one is good.

I am not sure if that is the right equation to use

Try. What do you have to lose?

Regarding the second question: it's much harder (you need more power) to climb a steeper hill so given a mountain you build roads with a reasonable angle. At that angle you would need a longer mountain so you must make those sharp turns to keep the road on the mountain.

Sonty is completely correct.

In regards to the road, remember that "energy is conserved". Go up a particular distance requires fixed amount of work (mg times height moved) but since work= force times distance, if you go a longer distance you can do the same work using less force.

1. What is the purpose of "Two Puzzling Questions" homework assignment?

The purpose of the "Two Puzzling Questions" homework assignment is to challenge students to think critically and creatively about a topic and to practice problem-solving skills.

2. How long should it take to complete the "Two Puzzling Questions" homework assignment?

The time it takes to complete the "Two Puzzling Questions" homework assignment will vary depending on the student's level of understanding and problem-solving abilities. It is recommended to spend an average of 30 minutes to an hour on each question.

3. Can I use outside resources to help me answer the "Two Puzzling Questions"?

It is recommended to use the resources provided by the teacher or textbook to answer the "Two Puzzling Questions" as it will help strengthen your understanding of the topic. However, if you do use outside resources, make sure to properly cite them.

4. What should I do if I am stuck on one of the "Two Puzzling Questions"?

If you are stuck on one of the "Two Puzzling Questions", take a break and come back to it later with a fresh perspective. You can also ask your teacher or classmates for help, or try breaking the question down into smaller parts to make it more manageable.

5. How will the "Two Puzzling Questions" homework assignment be graded?

The "Two Puzzling Questions" homework assignment will likely be graded based on the accuracy of your answers and the quality of your problem-solving process. Make sure to show all of your work and explain your reasoning to receive full credit.