: Why does Chrome Say: "Managed by your organization"?

• Thread starter kyphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chrome
In summary, this is a new feature of Chrome 73 and beyond. If you have an HP extension installed, it might say that your browser is managed by your organization. You can try removing all traces of your old browser and reinstalling it from scratch.
kyphysics
Hi all,

I use Chrome as my browser. At the top right, there are three dots that you can click to open up what I believe is called a tool bar. It's the bar that appears and gives you options to change settings, add bookmarks, clear history, etc. At the bottom of that bar or panel, it says "Managed by your organization."

I clicked on that and this page came up:

Your browser is managed
Your administrator can change your browser setup remotely. Activity on this device may also be managed outside of Chrome. Learn More

Clicking on Learn More, it goes to another page that says:
Check if your Chrome browser is managed
If you use Chrome at school or work, it might be managed, or set up and maintained by a school, company, or other group.
If your Chrome browser is managed, your administrator can set up or restrict certain features, install extensions, monitor activity, and control how you use Chrome.
If you use a Chromebook, see if your Chromebook is managed.
Computer AndroidiPhone & iPad
  1. Open Chrome
    lIRx47n0At3ZLRZuU2UIuXpsDZVhrsFJMW5DQkQVQU=w18-h18.png
  2. At the top right, select More
    v7C6fDj_M3-rUXCQb-chdKf2eE1d0811mbhxNrDJkQ=w18-h18.png
  3. Check the bottom of the menu. If you see “Managed by your organization,” your browser is managed. If you don’t, your browser isn’t managed.
Check extensions
To check the extensions your organization set up on your browser, click Managed by your organization in the Chrome menu.
You can also type chrome://management in the address bar and press Enter.
Check policies
If your browser is managed, you can find the policies that are set by your organization.
  1. Open Chrome
    lIRx47n0At3ZLRZuU2UIuXpsDZVhrsFJMW5DQkQVQU=w18-h18.png
  2. In the address bar, type chrome://policy and press Enter.
If you’re an administrator, learn more about Chrome Enterprise for a business or school.

Question:

This is on my home laptop. It was NOT a school, work, or organizational computer. It's my PERSONAL LAPTOP.

Why would it say this and is someone controlling my computer from afar? :nb):nb):nb)

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
kyphysics said:
This is on my home laptop. It was NOT a school, work, or organizational computer. It's my PERSONAL LAPTOP.

Why would it say this and is someone controlling my computer from afar? :nb):nb):nb)
It's probably because you have more than one logon account, and it was installed under an administrator account.

Did you try entering:
chrome://management
and
chrome://policy
like it says? This will help you learn more.

Somehow you’ve become an organization either through adding some plugin or in using a managed account that marked your browser as managed.

You could try removing all traces of your old browser and reinstalling it from scratch. You’ll have to search online for others who’ve had this same issue for answers though or for how you can install a clean copy of chrome.

its a new feature of chrome 73 and beyond:

https://www.askvg.com/fix-your-browser-is-managed-by-your-organization-in-google-chrome/

In my laptop, I have an extension installed by HP: HP Sure Click Secure Browsing. This application comes with HP systems, and the extension manages the browser (prevents harmful websites etc.) So in Chrome, I see this when I click on "Managed by your organization":

1591159071942.png

Does your chrome show any such extension? If not, you can have a look at this answer:

https://support.google.com/chrome/thread/3262871?msgid=3283941

1. What does it mean when Chrome says "Managed by your organization"?

When Chrome says "Managed by your organization", it means that your browser settings are being controlled by an administrator or organization. This usually happens when you are using a work or school account on your device.

2. Can I change the settings if my Chrome is managed by an organization?

No, if your Chrome is managed by an organization, you will not be able to change certain settings such as extensions, startup pages, or search engine preferences. These settings are controlled by the administrator.

3. How do I know if my Chrome is managed by an organization?

You can check if your Chrome is managed by an organization by going to the "chrome://management" page in your browser. If your browser is managed, it will say "Managed by your organization" at the top of the page.

4. Can I remove the "Managed by your organization" message in Chrome?

If your Chrome is managed by an organization, you will not be able to remove the "Managed by your organization" message. This message serves as a reminder that certain settings are being controlled by an administrator.

5. How can I regain control of my Chrome settings if it is managed by an organization?

If you want to regain control of your Chrome settings, you will need to contact the administrator or organization that manages your device. They will be able to provide you with the necessary permissions to make changes to your browser settings.