Please help with a few orgo synthesis problems.

• Thread starter asdfTT123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Synthesis
In summary, when approaching a synthesis problem in organic chemistry, it is important to analyze the starting materials and desired product, break the synthesis down into smaller steps, and choose appropriate reagents and conditions for each step. Some of the most common reactions used in organic chemistry synthesis include nucleophilic substitution, electrophilic addition, elimination, and oxidation/reduction. To determine the correct reagents and conditions for a synthesis step, it is important to consider factors such as regioselectivity, stereoselectivity, and functional group compatibility. When completing organic chemistry synthesis, it is important to avoid common mistakes such as using incorrect reagents or conditions, not considering the order of reactions, and not checking for stability of intermediates. There are
asdfTT123
I've been staring at these for a while now and I can't seem to get them. I would really appreciate anyone's help with these.

1. Methylcyclohexane -> 1-methyl,2-bromo-cyclohexane (bromine added to ortho carbon in respect to the methyl group). The main problem here is that I don't know where to start!

2, 3. The rest are in the attachment

Thanks!

Attachments

• orgo synthesis 2.jpg
    orgo synthesis 2.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 435
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you been studying olefins? Think about the various reactions of olefins and how olefins can be made.

Did you find an answer?

1. How do I approach a synthesis problem in organic chemistry?

When faced with a synthesis problem, it is important to first analyze the starting materials and desired product. Then, break down the synthesis into smaller steps by identifying key functional groups and potential reactions. Finally, choose appropriate reagents and conditions for each step and consider how the reactions will be carried out.

2. What are the most common reactions used in organic chemistry synthesis?

Some of the most frequently used reactions in organic synthesis include nucleophilic substitution, electrophilic addition, elimination, and oxidation/reduction. It is important to have a good understanding of these reactions and their mechanisms in order to successfully complete a synthesis problem.

3. How do I determine the correct reagents and conditions for a synthesis step?

Choosing the appropriate reagents and conditions for each step of a synthesis problem requires knowledge of the functional groups involved and the desired outcome. It is important to consider factors such as regioselectivity, stereoselectivity, and functional group compatibility when selecting reagents and conditions.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid in organic chemistry synthesis?

Some common mistakes to avoid in organic chemistry synthesis include using incorrect reagents or conditions, not considering the order of reactions, and not considering the stability of intermediates. It is also important to double-check your work and make sure all steps have been completed correctly.

5. What resources are available for help with organic chemistry synthesis problems?

There are many resources available for help with organic chemistry synthesis problems, such as textbooks, study guides, online tutorials, and practice problems. It is also helpful to work with a study group or seek assistance from a tutor or instructor for personalized help and feedback.