Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help with a problem I am having

1. Jan 29, 2008 #1
    Hello All,

I am trying to solve the following problem and I am having some trouble in doing so...would it be possible for someone to help me?

Here it is:

(-dP/dZ)*(r/2)=k((dv/dr)^n)

(-dP/dZ) is constant and I am trying to integrate dv/dr but I am having trouble separating the term... please HELP!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2008 #2

Mute

Homework Helper

So, your problem is

[tex]\frac{\alpha r}{2} = k \left(\frac{dv}{dr} \right)^n[/tex]

where [itex]\alpha = -\frac{dP}{dz}[/itex]. Take the n^th root of both sides to get

[tex]\frac{dv}{dr} = \left(\frac{\alpha r}{2 k}\right)^n[/tex]

which is easily seen to be separable. Just be careful, though - taking the n^th root could result in numerous solutions, e.g. n = even results in a +/-, so you may need to choose just one of the signs based on the context of the problem, and I'm assuming everything should be real, so that's the only issue with taking the root. (n odd is okay, since there's only one real root).

4. Jan 29, 2008 #3
    If you take the nth root of both sides do you not end up with (ar/2k)^1/n?

5. Jan 29, 2008 #4
    I am sorry let me post the complete equation: do you not get dv/dr=(ar/2k)^1/n

6. Jan 31, 2008 #5

Mute

Homework Helper

Ah, sorry. 'Twas a typo or some sort of brain misfire when typing. Yes, you get that, so you can separate it as

[tex]\frac{dr}{r^{1/n}} = \left(\frac{\alpha}{2k} \right)^{1/n}dv[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?