1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please Help with Angular Momentum/Angular Speed

1. Jun 23, 2004 #1
    A person exerts a tangential force of 36.1 N on the rim of a disk-shaped merry-go-round of radius 2.74 m and mass 167 kg. If the merry-go-round starts at rest, what is its angular speed after the person has rotated it through an angle of 60.0°?

=> L=Iw => w = L/I where I=1/2mr^2
    I just don't know where to plug in the tangential force and the angle.
    Please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2004 #2
    Let F be the tangential force, R the radius of the merry-go-round and M its mass. The torque is [itex]\tau = FR = I\alpha[/itex]. You know F, R and I so you can solve for [itex]\alpha[/itex] and then use that to find the angular velocity. Pretty straight forward. Remember, physics is not about plugging numbers and spitting answers.

4. Jun 24, 2004 #3
    Thank you so very much for your prompt reply.

theta =1 rad = 57.3degree, 60degree=1.05 rad

I calculated
    a)alpha = T/I = 98.9/627 = 0.158 rad/s
    b)theta = 1/2 (alpha) t^2 => t = sqrt(2 * 1.05 / 0.158) = 3.65s
    c)w = (alpha) t = 0.158 rad/s^2 * 3.65 s = 0.577 rad/s

Please let me know if my figures are correct. Again, thank you.

5. Jun 24, 2004 #4
    Instead of finding t, you could just use [itex]\omega^2 = \omega_0^2 + 2\alpha\theta[/itex]. You can check your answer doing it this way.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?