1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help with calculus problem

1. Apr 11, 2008 #1
    y axis = force
    x axis = distance
    xy = torque
    I have two points on an x axis
    0 and 6
    at 0 xy = -18.352
    at 6 xy = .802
    I need to know what y equals and its value of x. How can I do this?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I have no idea what you are talking about. At distance=0 torque=-18.352? What torque? What distance?

4. Apr 12, 2008 #3
    nevermind
    i solved it

(6-z) x F = .802
    z x F = -18.352

5. Apr 12, 2008 #4
    can the above 2 equations be solved?

6. Apr 12, 2008 #5

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If x is a variable, you have two equations in three unknowns which cannot be solved uniquely. If x denotes multiplication, you have two equations in two unknowns so there is usually a unique solution. If it is an outer product ([itex]\times[/itex]) the equations make no sense.

7. Apr 12, 2008 #6
    what I want to know is what force magnitude and what point along the x axis does the force have to act on to make the fulcrum at x = 0 and the fulcrum at x = 6 have the following torques
    at 0 = -18.352
    at 6 = .802

8. Apr 12, 2008 #7
    what do you mean by outer product ([itex]\times[/itex]) ?

9. Apr 13, 2008 #8
    Statement of problem

I assume that all distances are measured on the x axis from x=0, negative to the left and positive to the right. Also I assume that force is measured positive downward.

The downward force generating a torque of -18.352 about 0 must be applied to the left of 0.
    The downward force generating a torque of 0.082 about 6 must be applied to the right of 6.
    Therefor the problen has no solution or I have stated it incorrectly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?