Please help with calculus problem

• Thread starter Ry122
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the problem involves determining the force magnitude and point of application on the x-axis to produce torques of -18.352 at x=0 and 0.082 at x=6. However, the given information does not provide enough information to solve the problem.
Ry122
y axis = force
x axis = distance
xy = torque
I have two points on an x axis
0 and 6
at 0 xy = -18.352
at 6 xy = .802
I need to know what y equals and its value of x. How can I do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea what you are talking about. At distance=0 torque=-18.352? What torque? What distance?

nevermind
i solved it

(6-z) x F = .802
z x F = -18.352

can the above 2 equations be solved?

If x is a variable, you have two equations in three unknowns which cannot be solved uniquely. If x denotes multiplication, you have two equations in two unknowns so there is usually a unique solution. If it is an outer product ([itex]\times[/itex]) the equations make no sense.

what I want to know is what force magnitude and what point along the x-axis does the force have to act on to make the fulcrum at x = 0 and the fulcrum at x = 6 have the following torques
at 0 = -18.352
at 6 = .802

CompuChip said:
If x is a variable, you have two equations in three unknowns which cannot be solved uniquely. If x denotes multiplication, you have two equations in two unknowns so there is usually a unique solution. If it is an outer product ([itex]\times[/itex]) the equations make no sense.

what do you mean by outer product ([itex]\times[/itex]) ?

Statement of problem

I assume that all distances are measured on the x-axis from x=0, negative to the left and positive to the right. Also I assume that force is measured positive downward.

The downward force generating a torque of -18.352 about 0 must be applied to the left of 0.
The downward force generating a torque of 0.082 about 6 must be applied to the right of 6.
Therefor the problen has no solution or I have stated it incorrectly.

What is calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with rates of change and accumulation. It is used to model and analyze many real-world situations, such as motion and growth.

Why is calculus important?

Calculus is considered to be one of the most important mathematical tools, as it is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It allows us to understand and predict the behavior of complex systems and make accurate calculations.

What are the two main branches of calculus?

The two main branches of calculus are differential calculus and integral calculus. Differential calculus deals with the rate of change of a function, while integral calculus deals with the accumulation of a quantity over an interval.

What are some common applications of calculus?

Calculus has a wide range of applications in various fields. Some common applications include optimization, motion and mechanics, economics, and statistics. It is also used in computer science to develop algorithms and in medicine to model biological systems.

How can I improve my understanding of calculus?

The best way to improve your understanding of calculus is to practice solving problems. Make sure to review the fundamentals and concepts regularly and seek help from a tutor or teacher if needed. Additionally, there are many online resources and textbooks available that can help you deepen your understanding of calculus.