1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help with chain rule

1. Sep 19, 2006 #1
    I need help solving this problem. It is in my text book but no answer is provided in the appendix.

If [tex]y=2t+3[/tex] and [tex]x=t^{2}-t[/tex], find [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]

In theory this should be fairly straight forward! Simply find [tex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{dt}{dx}[/tex] and multiply both derivatives together to find [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] , but I am having some problems.

I tried solving [tex]x=t^{2}-t[/tex] for t, but that gets ugly pretty fast. I am out of ideas, can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks again in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2006 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Remember the rule for the derivative of the inverse function..

4. Sep 19, 2006 #3
    Sorry

I am sorry but I have never heard of that rule. I just looked through my textbook and I cannot find any mention of it :( This is for grade 12 calculus. could you just elaborate a little bit? sorry and thanks!

5. Sep 19, 2006 #4
    dy/dt =2

dx/dt=2t-1

dt/dx= 1/2t-1

dy/dx=2/(2t-1)

6. Sep 19, 2006 #5
    ahhhh that all makes perfect sense now!!! But wouldn't dt/dx = -1/2t-1... :)

7. Sep 19, 2006 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Parentheses!! Since x= t2- t dx/dt= 2t- 1 and so dt/dx= 1/(2t-1). I see no reason for a negative sign there.

8. Sep 20, 2006 #7
    Yea I realized that a mintute after I said it.. No need for a perpendicular derivative! lol, don't know what I was thinking, but anyways I understand 100% now. Thanks! Just to make this clear, does this apply to alll instances where you have [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] and want to find [tex]\frac{dx}{dy}[/tex] or vice versa? Thanks. I would imagine it would but I just want to make sure.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?