Integration Help: Overcoming Blindness in Solving Equations

• Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving integrals and a constant "a" in the numerator. The goal is to simplify the equation to 2\int_0^1\frac{1}{1-u^2} du = \int_{-1}^1\frac{1}{1+u} du. The conversation goes on to discuss using partial fraction decomposition and the sum to product identity for cosine to solve the problem. One person suggests a hint to use the expansion of \left( \cos(au)-\cos(a) \right)^2 to simplify the equation. Another person suggests splitting 1/(1+u) into symmetric and antisymmetric parts.
yungman
I am having some sort of blindness today! I just don't see how I can go from the first step to the second:

[tex]2\int_0^1\frac{[\cos^2 (au) +\cos^2a-2\cos (au) \cos a]}{1-u^2} du = \int_{-1}^1\frac{[\cos^2 (au) +\cos^2a-2\cos (au) \cos a]}{1+u} du[/tex]
Where "a" is just a constant.

As you can see, the numerator does not change. so it really boils down to
[tex]2\int_0^1\frac{1}{1-u^2} du = \int_{-1}^1\frac{1}{1+u} du[/tex]

I tried using partial fraction where:
[tex]\frac 1 { (1+u)(1-u)}=\frac A {(1+u)}+\frac B {(1-u)}[/tex]
where A=B=##\frac 1 2##.
[tex]\Rightarrow\; 2\int_0^1\frac{1}{1-u^2} du=\int_0^1\frac{1}{1+u} du+\int_0^1\frac{1}{1-u} du[/tex]

I just don't see it. Please help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
yungman said:
I am having some sort of blindness today! I just don't see how I can go from the first step to the second:

[tex]2\int_0^1\frac{[\cos^2 (au) +\cos^2a-2\cos (au) \cos a]}{1-u^2} du = \int_{-1}^1\frac{[\cos^2 (au) +\cos^2a-2\cos (au) \cos a]}{1+u} du[/tex]

As you can see, the numerator does not change. so it really boils down to

I tried using partial fraction where:
[tex]\frac 1 { (1+u)(1-u)}=\frac A {(1+u)}+\frac B {(1-u)}[/tex]
where A=B=##\frac 1 2##.
[tex]\Rightarrow\; 2\int_0^1\frac{1}{1-u^2} du=\int_0^1\frac{1}{1+u} du+\int_0^1\frac{1}{1-u} du[/tex]

I just don't see it. Please help.
Doing the pertial fraction decomposition may help -- probably does help, but you can't just say it boils down to [itex]\ \displaystyle 2\int_0^1\frac{1}{1-u^2} du = \int_{-1}^1\frac{1}{1+u} du\ .[/itex]

One other thing also changes, the limits of integration.

Also notice that the numerator is a perfect square.

There is also a sum to product identity for cos(A) - cos(B) .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigonometric_identities#Product-to-sum_and_sum-to-product_identities

SammyS said:
Doing the pertial fraction decomposition may help -- probably does help, but you can't just say it boils down to [itex]\ \displaystyle 2\int_0^1\frac{1}{1-u^2} du = \int_{-1}^1\frac{1}{1+u} du\ .[/itex]

One other thing also changes, the limits of integration.

Also notice that the numerator is a perfect square.

There is also a sum to product identity for cos(A) - cos(B) .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigonometric_identities#Product-to-sum_and_sum-to-product_identities

I get to this directly from what is given from the solution manual:

[tex]\Rightarrow\;2\int_0^1\frac{1}{1-u^2}[\cos^2 (au) +\cos^2a-2\cos (au) \cos a] du = \int_{-1}^1\frac{1}{1+u} [\cos^2 (au) +\cos^2a-2\cos (au) \cos a]du[/tex]

As you can see, the numerator does not change. I just remove the whole numerator and boils down to

I really did not change anything. I just don't get this and I show my work in the first post where I got stuck. I don't even see why I need to worry about sine and cosine terms in the numerator as it is not even affected. I only show the whole equation just to show where it comes from.

Last edited:
yungman said:

[tex]\Rightarrow\;2\int_0^1\frac{1}{1-u^2}[\cos^2 (au) +\cos^2a-2\cos (au) \cos a] du = \int_{-1}^1\frac{1}{1+u} [\cos^2 (au) +\cos^2a-2\cos (au) \cos a]du[/tex]

As you can see, the numerator does not change. I just remove the whole numerator and boils down to

I really did not change anything. I just don't get this and I show my work in the first post where I got stuck. I don't even see why I need to worry about sine and cosine terms in the numerator as it is not even affected. I only show the whole equation just to show where it comes from.

You are barking up the wrong tree here. Saying that the integral of 1/g(x) is equal to the integral of 1/h(x) means that the integral of f(x)/g(x) equals the integral f(x)/h(x) is completely wrong. Not that I know how to solve your problem, but the integral of 1/(1+u) from -1 to 1 doesn't even exist. And the other one diverges as well. You can't 'cancel' the numerator.

Last edited:
yungman said:

Hint: What is ##\displaystyle \ \left( \cos(au)-\cos(a) \right)^2 \ ## when expanded ?

After suitably changing the integrand and splitting the integral into the sum of two integrals, it looks like you will need to use a change of variable (substitution) with one of the integrals.

I haven't done the problem either, but it looks to me that the integral does converge. (As u → 1 , we have the indeterminate form, 0/0 .)

Last edited:
SammyS said:
Hint: What is ##\displaystyle \ \left( \cos(au)-\cos(a) \right)^2 \ ## when expanded ?

I don't think that helps. The original numerator is symmetric in u. I would try splitting 1/(1+u) into symmetric and antisymmetric parts. I think that will.

Last edited:
SammyS said:

After suitably changing the integrand and splitting the integral into the sum of two integrals, it looks like you will need to use a change of variable (substitution) with one of the integrals.

I haven't done the problem either, but it looks to me that the integral does converge. (As u → 1 , we have the indeterminate form, 0/0 .)

Actually that's where it came from...##(\cos au -\cos a)^2##.

I am still looking at this, I understand what I did wrong. But I still have no idea how to solve this.

Dick said:
You are barking up the wrong tree here. Saying that the integral of 1/g(x) is equal to the integral of 1/h(x) means that the integral of f(x)/g(x) equals the integral f(x)/h(x) is completely wrong. Not that I know how to solve your problem, but the integral of 1/(1+u) from -1 to 1 doesn't even exist. And the other one diverges as well. You can't 'cancel' the numerator.

I see what you mean. But now I am even more lost. This is a scan of the solution manual. I use a=kl/2.

Attachments

• Integral.jpg
    Integral.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 324
Last edited:
yungman said:
Actually that's where it came from...##(\cos au -\cos a)^2##.

I am still looking at this, I understand what I did wrong. But I still have no idea how to solve this.
Use the difference to product identity for ##\ \cos(\theta) - \cos(\varphi) \ .##

##\displaystyle
\cos \theta - \cos \varphi = -2\sin\left( {\theta + \varphi \over 2}\right) \sin\left({\theta - \varphi \over 2}\right)
##

In this case, ##\displaystyle \ {\theta + \varphi \over 2}\ ## and ##\displaystyle \ {\theta - \varphi \over 2}\ ## work out very nicely .

Added in Edit:
The only reason to change to the product of sines is to show that the limit of the integrand exists as u → ±1 .

Last edited:
Using the partial fraction decomposition you found for 1/(1-u2) , split the integral into the sum of two integrals, one with a denominator
of 1 + u, the other with 1 - u.

Each, of course, has a numerator of (cos(au)-cos(a))2 .

Then, for the integral with a denominator of 1 - u, do a substitution such as x = -u .

SammyS said:
Using the partial fraction decomposition you found for 1/(1-u2) , split the integral into the sum of two integrals, one with a denominator
of 1 + u, the other with 1 - u.

Each, of course, has a numerator of (cos(au)-cos(a))2 .

Then, for the integral with a denominator of 1 - u, do a substitution such as x = -u .

Thanks

Let me work on this and come back later.

Let me try this and see whether this is right

[tex]\frac 2 { (1+u)(1-u)}=\frac A {(1+u)}+\frac B {(1-u)}=\frac 1 {(1+u)}+\frac 1 {(1-u)}[/tex]
where A=B=##\frac 1 2##.

[tex]\Rightarrow\;2\int_0^1\frac{[\cos^2 (au) +\cos^2a-2\cos (au) \cos a]}{1-u^2} du = \int_{0}^1\frac{[\cos^2 (au) +\cos^2a-2\cos (au) \cos a]}{1+u} du\;+\; \int_{0}^1\frac{[\cos^2 (au) +\cos^2a-2\cos (au) \cos a]}{1-u} du [/tex]
[tex]\hbox {Let}\;v=-u\Rightarrow\; du=-dv[/tex]
[tex]\int_{0}^1\frac{[\cos^2 (au) +\cos^2a-2\cos (au) \cos a]}{1-u} du\;=\;-\int_{0}^{-1}\frac{[\cos^2 (-av) +\cos^2a-2\cos (-av) \cos a]}{1+v} dv\;=\;\int_{-1}^0\frac{[\cos^2 (av) +\cos^2a-2\cos (av) \cos a]}{1+v} dv[/tex][tex]\hbox {Let}\;u=v\Rightarrow\; du=dv[/tex]
[tex]\int_{-1}^0\frac{[\cos^2 (av) +\cos^2a-2\cos (av) \cos a]}{1+v} dv\;=\;\int_{-1}^0\frac{[\cos^2 (au) +\cos^2a-2\cos (au) \cos a]}{1+u} du[/tex]

Therefore
[tex]2\int_0^1\frac{[\cos^2 (au) +\cos^2a-2\cos (au) \cos a]}{1-u^2} du\;=\;\int_{0}^1\frac{[\cos^2 (au) +\cos^2a-2\cos (au) \cos a]}{1+u} du\;+\;\int_{-1}^0\frac{[\cos^2 (au) +\cos^2a-2\cos (au) \cos a]}{1+u} du[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow\;2\int_0^1\frac{[\cos^2 (au) +\cos^2a-2\cos (au) \cos a]}{1-u^2} du\;=\;\int_{-1}^1\frac{[\cos^2 (au) +\cos^2a-2\cos (au) \cos a]}{1+u} du[/tex]

How does this look?

Last edited:
In the first line, if A = B = 1/2, shouldn't the fractions be (1/2) / (1 + u) and (1/2) / (1 - u)?

SteamKing said:
In the first line, if A = B = 1/2, shouldn't the fractions be (1/2) / (1 + u) and (1/2) / (1 - u)?
He is decomposing ##\displaystyle \ \frac{2}{1-u^2}\ ## not ##\displaystyle \ \frac{1}{1-u^2}\ .##

yungman said:
Let me try this and see whether this is right

...[tex]\hbox {Let}\;v=-u\Rightarrow\; du=-dv[/tex]
[tex]\int_{0}^1\frac{[\cos^2 (au) +\cos^2a-2\cos (au) \cos a]}{1-u} du\;=\;-\int_{0}^{-1}\frac{[\cos^2 (-av) +\cos^2a-2\cos (-av) \cos a]}{1+v} dv\;=\;\int_{-1}^0\frac{[\cos^2 (av) +\cos^2a-2\cos (av) \cos a]}{1+v} dv[/tex]...

Therefore
[tex]2\int_0^1\frac{[\cos^2 (au) +\cos^2a-2\cos (au) \cos a]}{1-u^2} du\;=\;\int_{0}^1\frac{[\cos^2 (au) +\cos^2a-2\cos (au) \cos a]}{1+u} du\;+\;\int_{-1}^0\frac{[\cos^2 (au) +\cos^2a-2\cos (au) \cos a]}{1+u} du[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow\;2\int_0^1\frac{[\cos^2 (au) +\cos^2a-2\cos (au) \cos a]}{1-u^2} du\;=\;\int_{-1}^1\frac{[\cos^2 (au) +\cos^2a-2\cos (au) \cos a]}{1+u} du[/tex]

How does this look?

It looks good to me.

SammyS said:
He is decomposing ##\displaystyle \ \frac{2}{1-u^2}\ ## not ##\displaystyle \ \frac{1}{1-u^2}\ .##

I agree that 1/(1+u) + 1/(1-u) = 2 / (1-u^2), but his partial fraction decomp says that his unknowns A = B = 1/2, which is incorrect according to his initial assumption. It is a minor point, but one should endeavor to be correct in all details.

Thanks for the help from everybody.

SteamKing said:
I agree that 1/(1+u) + 1/(1-u) = 2 / (1-u^2), but his partial fraction decomp says that his unknowns A = B = 1/2, which is incorrect according to his initial assumption. It is a minor point, but one should endeavor to be correct in all details.

It was late, I was sloppy, it should be ##2\frac 1 {1-u^2}## and A=B=##\frac 1 2##.

This is a new question all together, but it is on the same page of the derivation. I cannot follow the derivation of the notes. Here is my derivation starting from (1) or the notes.

[tex]I_{int}=\frac 1 2 \int_{-1}^1\frac{[1+\cos(klu)+1+\cos(kl)]}{(1+u)}du\;-\;\int_{-1}^1\frac{\cos\left (\frac{kl}{2}(1+u)\right)+\cos\left (\frac{kl}{2}(1-u)\right) }{(1+u)}du[/tex]
[tex]\hbox {Let }\;(1+u)kl=v\;\Rightarrow\;v=(kl+klu),\;u=(\frac {v}{kl}-1),\;(1+u)=\frac {v}{kl}, \;\hbox { and } \;du=\frac {dv}{kl}[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow\; I_{int}=\frac 1 2 \int_0^{2kl} \frac {[2 + \cos (v-kl)+\cos(kl)]}{v} dv-\int_0^{2kl}\frac{\cos\left(\frac v 2 \right)}{v}dv-\int_{-1}^1 \frac{\cos\left[\frac{kl}{2}(1-u)\right]}{1+u}du[/tex]
[tex]\hbox {For the second term, let }\; w=\frac v 2 \;\hbox { and then Let } v=w \hbox { later}[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow\; I_{int}=\frac 1 2 \int_0^{2kl} \frac {[2 + \cos (v-kl)+\cos(kl)]}{v} dv-\int_0^{kl}\frac{\cos(v)}{v}dv-\int_{-1}^1 \frac{\cos\left[\frac{kl}{2}(1-u)\right]}{1+u}du[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow\; I_{int}=\frac 1 2 \int_0^{2kl} \frac {[2 +\cos(kl)]}{v} dv+ \frac 1 2 \int_0^{2kl} \frac { \cos (v-kl)}{v} dv -\int_0^{kl}\frac{\cos(v)}{v}dv-\int_{-1}^1 \frac{\cos\left[\frac{kl}{2}(1-u)\right]}{1+u}du[/tex]

Now compare the line (2) in the scanned notes:
[tex]\Rightarrow\; I_{int}=\frac 1 2 \int_0^{2kl} \frac {[2 + \cos (klv)+\cos(kl)]}{v} dv-\int_0^{kl}\frac{\cos(v)}{v}dv-\int_{-1}^1 \frac{\cos\left[\frac{kl}{2}(1-u)\right]}{1+u}du[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow\; I_{int}=\frac 1 2 \int_0^{2kl} \frac {[2 +\cos(kl)]}{v} dv+ \frac 1 2 \int_0^{2kl} \frac { \cos (klv)}{v} dv -\int_0^{kl}\frac{\cos(v)}{v}dv-\int_{-1}^1 \frac{\cos\left[\frac{kl}{2}(1-u)\right]}{1+u}du[/tex]

If you compare the equation I derive with (2) of the notes, the only terms that is different is:
[tex]\frac 1 2 \int_0^{2kl} \frac { \cos (v-kl)}{v} dv\;\hbox { from my equation to }\;\frac 1 2 \int_0^{2kl} \frac { \cos (klv)}{v} dv\;\hbox { from the notes.}[/tex]

I just don't see how I can get the answer from the notes. As you see, I separate the longer integration into two parts. I am pretty sure I did this right this time...hopefully. Please help.

I attach the whole page of the notes as I might have more question coming and I might have typos. This is a difficult derivation that involve sine and cosine integral and I am rusty in math! I am not math major, I do this as part of the derivation of radiating power of antenna. I am not like you guys that are in "mid season condition"!:rofl:. Everything is rusty for me and need some kick start! What I posted is from equation (1) to (2) in the notes.

Attachments

• Integration.jpg
    Integration.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 281
Last edited:
It's generally the case that a new question should be posted in a new thread. This is no exception.

If this question were very closely related to the one that you started this thread with, it might be justified to tack this on to the the thread, but that is not the case here.

SammyS said:
It's generally the case that a new question should be posted in a new thread. This is no exception.

If this question were very closely related to the one that you started this thread with, it might be justified to tack this on to the the thread, but that is not the case here.

Sorry, I posted it on a new thread already. Please delete my last post as I cannot do it myself and close this thread.

1. How does integration help in overcoming blindness in solving equations?

Integration helps in overcoming blindness in solving equations by allowing us to find the area under a curve, which can provide valuable information about the behavior of a function. This can help us to better understand and solve equations, as well as visualize and interpret the results.

2. What is the role of integration in calculus?

Integration is a fundamental concept in calculus, as it is the inverse process of differentiation. It allows us to find the area under a curve and solve problems related to accumulation of quantities, such as distance, velocity, and acceleration.

3. How can integration be used to solve real-world problems?

Integration can be used to solve a wide range of real-world problems, such as calculating volumes, finding areas of irregular shapes, and predicting future values based on past data. It is also used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model and analyze various systems and phenomena.

4. What are the different techniques of integration?

The main techniques of integration include u-substitution, integration by parts, trigonometric substitution, partial fractions, and numerical integration. Each technique is useful for different types of integrals, and it is important to know when and how to apply them in order to solve a given problem efficiently.

5. How can I improve my skills in integrating and solving equations?

The best way to improve your skills in integrating and solving equations is through practice. Start with simpler problems and gradually increase the difficulty level. It is also helpful to understand the underlying concepts and techniques, as well as the applications of integration in various fields. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or using online resources can also aid in improving your skills.