Inverse Function: One-to-One Property and Area Calculation [f(x)=x^5+x^3+x]

• Thread starter gruffy123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inverse
In summary, The first step is to show that f(x)=x^5+x^3+x is one to one. This is easy because f'(x)= 5x4+ 3x^2+ 1 always is positive. Next, the mathematician needs to find an area. This can be done by drawing a graph of the function and looking for values of x and y where f(x)= 3 and f(x)= 42. Finally, the inverse of the function can be found by using symmetry and looking at the graph of y= f-1(x).
gruffy123
First I need to show that f(x)=x^5+x^3+x is one to one
Then I need to calculate an area [3,42]... for which I need of the inverse of that fuction.
I found all sorts of graphing functions but I can't find anything to give me values or an actual function... Please please please if anyone can tell me how to get the inverse of that orginal function I will love you!

Physics news on Phys.org
There's an easy way you can get the area under an inverse function without actually inverting the function. Try drawing a graph of the function, and see if you can figure it out.

Hint: If you're integrating from y1 to y2, look at the rectangle formed by (x1, y1) and (x2, y2). What can you say about the areas of each part of this rectangle, on either side of y=f(x)?

gruffy123 said:
First I need to show that f(x)=x^5+x^3+x is one to one
It helps a lot to know that f'(x)= 5x4+ 3x^2+ 1 is always positive!

Then I need to calculate an area [3,42]... for which I need of the inverse of that fuction.
I found all sorts of graphing functions but I can't find anything to give me values or an actual function... Please please please if anyone can tell me how to get the inverse of that orginal function I will love you!
Ben Niehoff's hint is excellent. DONT' get the inverse- use "symmetry". The graph of y= f(x) is just the graph of y= f-1(x) "reflected" through the line y= x: inverting a function "swaps" x and y.
When you say "calculate and area [3, 42]" do you mean the area under the graph of y= f-1(x) and between x= 3 and x= 42? That would correspond to x and y in f(x) such that f(x)= 3 and f(x)= 42. Can you find those values? (Hint: when faced with a really HARD equation, search for really EASY answers!)

What is inverse and why is it important?

Inverse is a mathematical operation that undoes another operation. Inverse operations are important because they allow us to solve equations and find unknown values.

What are the different types of inverse operations?

The four main types of inverse operations are addition and subtraction, multiplication and division, exponentiation and logarithms, and trigonometric functions and their inverses.

How do I find the inverse of a function?

To find the inverse of a function, first switch the x and y variables and solve for y. This will give you the inverse function. It is important to note that not all functions have an inverse.

What is the difference between the inverse and reciprocal of a number?

The inverse of a number is the number that when multiplied by the original number, results in 1. The reciprocal of a number is the fraction that has the original number as its denominator. In other words, the reciprocal is the inverse of a fraction, while the inverse of a number can be a fraction or a whole number.

Why do we use inverse operations in real life?

Inverse operations are used in real life for various purposes including solving equations, finding unknown values, and making calculations more efficient. For example, when calculating a tip at a restaurant, we use the inverse operation of multiplication to find the original cost of the meal.