1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help with labeling simple motor diagram?

1. Aug 8, 2009 #1
    Please help with labeling simple motor diagram??

Could someone please help me with labeling this??

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg26/ValaRayne/MOTOR-1.jpg

Thank you for any help, I've been trying to do this for ages but can't find the information I need

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2009 #2
    Re: Please help with labeling simple motor diagram??

looks pretty well labelled to me... which bits in specific do you need labelled?

4. Aug 8, 2009 #3

Is the commutator labeled right?
    I also need to know which part the armature is and what the red part around the stator coils is? (it's not actually red, i just coloured it red so it was easier to see)
    Thank you for your reply

5. Aug 8, 2009 #4

not a problem.
    The commutator is the part of the shaft that completes the circuit. it is segment to allow it to spin around in one direction rather than jerk backwards and forwards, that bit is labelled correctly.

the armature and the red bits are one and the same :)
    The armature is the elctromagnet created when a current is passed through the coil, or simply the bits of metal that the wire is wrapped around. The armature will be perpendicular to the axle.

The best way to see it i think is to go to your local electronics store and buy a motor for the $2 or whatever it is and take it apart and have a look

6. Aug 8, 2009 #5

Thank you so much for that!! I've been working on this report all day and I had gotten to the point where I couldn't get any more done without referring to the 'red thing' or the 'black thing that spins' lol
    Thank you :D

7. Aug 8, 2009 #6

negitron

Science Advisor

This diagram may help:

http://galaxyacademy.co.in/encyclopedea/electric%20motor_clip_image005.gif [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  8. Aug 8, 2009 #7

Thank you for that, negitron ! :)

Could I please ask just one more thing, in my diagram, which part of the motor is the part that is split so that the force can alternate and it can complete it's circular motion?
    What I mean is, in physics we were taught that the force needs to change every half cycle for it to continue spinning, so I was just wondering if it was the segmented commutator or the red things on the stator coils (the armature)?

9. Aug 8, 2009 #8

not a problem mate :)

10. Aug 8, 2009 #9

It is the segmented commutator. The commutator is the part that completes the circuit. Have a look in this diagram. The coil is polarized one way whilst connected one way. if the commutator was not split coil would then still be polarized in such a way that after less than half a rotation, the poles of the coil and magnet would repel, sending the coil the other way.
    the segmented commutator (in this simple diagram) changes the polarity of the coil (by reversing the current flow through the coil) so the coil will always spin in one direction.

http://library.thinkquest.org/15433/unit6/motor1.gif

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  11. Aug 8, 2009 #10

Thank you so much for all your help, nooma. I'm so sorry to be a nuisance but I have one more question.. (I swear it's the last! ) During the experiment I did I noticed some sparks coming from around the commutator (I attached a picture). Why do these sparks happen?

Attached Files:

12. Aug 8, 2009 #11

negitron

Science Advisor

Those are normal in brushed motors. As the brush breaks contact with the commutator, the collapse of the field winding's magnetic field induces a voltage in the coil, resulting in an arc.

13. Aug 8, 2009 #12

Thank you :D

14. Aug 9, 2009 #13

what he said :D

15. Aug 9, 2009 #14

Thank you both for all your help. It was really.. well.. helpful :D
    Now I have a report that actually sounds like I know what I'm talking about :P

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook