Please help with labeling simple motor diagram?

In summary, the commutator is the part of the shaft that completes the circuit. It is segment to allow it to spin around in one direction rather than jerk backwards and forwards, that bit is labelled correctly. the armature and the red bits are one and the same :) The armature is the elctromagnet created when a current is passed through the coil, or simply the bits of metal that the wire is wrapped around. The armature will be perpendicular to the axle. The best way to see it i think is to go to your local electronics store and buy a motor for the $2 or whatever it is and take it apart and have a look.
Atlaπtis
Please help with labeling simple motor diagram??

Could someone please help me with labeling this??

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg26/ValaRayne/MOTOR-1.jpg

Thank you for any help, I've been trying to do this for ages but can't find the information I need

Physics news on Phys.org

looks pretty well labelled to me... which bits in specific do you need labelled?

Is the commutator labeled right?
I also need to know which part the armature is and what the red part around the stator coils is? (it's not actually red, i just coloured it red so it was easier to see)
Thank you for your reply

not a problem.
The commutator is the part of the shaft that completes the circuit. it is segment to allow it to spin around in one direction rather than jerk backwards and forwards, that bit is labelled correctly.

the armature and the red bits are one and the same :)
The armature is the elctromagnet created when a current is passed through the coil, or simply the bits of metal that the wire is wrapped around. The armature will be perpendicular to the axle.

The best way to see it i think is to go to your local electronics store and buy a motor for the $2 or whatever it is and take it apart and have a look

Thank you so much for that! I've been working on this report all day and I had gotten to the point where I couldn't get any more done without referring to the 'red thing' or the 'black thing that spins' lol
Thank you :D

This diagram may help:

http://galaxyacademy.co.in/encyclopedea/electric%20motor_clip_image005.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you for that, negitron ! :)

Could I please ask just one more thing, in my diagram, which part of the motor is the part that is split so that the force can alternate and it can complete it's circular motion?
What I mean is, in physics we were taught that the force needs to change every half cycle for it to continue spinning, so I was just wondering if it was the segmented commutator or the red things on the stator coils (the armature)?

not a problem mate :)

It is the segmented commutator. The commutator is the part that completes the circuit. Have a look in this diagram. The coil is polarized one way whilst connected one way. if the commutator was not split coil would then still be polarized in such a way that after less than half a rotation, the poles of the coil and magnet would repel, sending the coil the other way.
the segmented commutator (in this simple diagram) changes the polarity of the coil (by reversing the current flow through the coil) so the coil will always spin in one direction.

http://library.thinkquest.org/15433/unit6/motor1.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you so much for all your help, nooma. I'm so sorry to be a nuisance but I have one more question.. (I swear it's the last! ) During the experiment I did I noticed some sparks coming from around the commutator (I attached a picture). Why do these sparks happen?

Attachments

• spark.jpg
    spark.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 436

Those are normal in brushed motors. As the brush breaks contact with the commutator, the collapse of the field winding's magnetic field induces a voltage in the coil, resulting in an arc.

Thank you :D

what he said :D

Thank you both for all your help. It was really.. well.. helpful :D
Now I have a report that actually sounds like I know what I'm talking about :P

1. What is a simple motor diagram?

A simple motor diagram is a visual representation of the components and wiring of a basic electric motor. It shows how the various parts of the motor are connected and how they work together to produce motion.

2. Why is it important to label a simple motor diagram?

Labeling a simple motor diagram helps to clarify the different parts of the motor and their functions. It also makes it easier to understand and troubleshoot any issues that may arise with the motor.

3. What are the main components of a simple motor?

The main components of a simple motor include a power source (such as a battery), a coil of wire (armature), a magnet, and a commutator. The motor also has a housing and brushes which help conduct electricity to the armature.

4. How do you read a simple motor diagram?

A simple motor diagram is read from left to right, with the power source on the left and the output shaft on the right. The various components are labeled and connected with lines to show how they are connected and work together.

5. What are some common mistakes when labeling a simple motor diagram?

Some common mistakes when labeling a simple motor diagram include not labeling all the components, using incorrect symbols or labels, and not showing the direction of current flow. It is important to double check the diagram for accuracy and clarity before using it.