How Many Cans of Paint and Window Coverings Are Needed for These Tasks?

• Thread starter mandy.rupi
  • Start date
In summary, the first question requires 6 cans of paint to cover an area of 2200 square units, and the second question requires 4 window coverings to span 50 windows. These questions may seem simple, but they require us to consider various factors such as real-life limitations and practicality.
mandy.rupi
please help with maths ...its very urgent

first question:HOW MANY CANS OF PAINT ARE NEEDED TO COVER AN AREA OF 2200 SQUARE UNITS IF ONE CAN OF PAINT COVERS AN AREA OF 400 SQUARE UNITS

answer choices
(1)4
(2)5
(3)6
(4)8

second question:HOW MANY WINDOW COVERINGS ARE NECCESARY TO SPAN 50 WINDOWS IF EACH WINDOW COVERING IS 15 WINDOWS LONG

answer choices
(1)3
(2)4
(3)5
(4)6

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
What are your own thoughts on this?

hello arildno,
this question is put to me by my sister
i have no idea...the answer should be 2200 divided by 400...what do u say
and please have look again new question added (just edited it)
thanks

mandy.rupi said:
HOW MANY CANS OF PAINT ARE NEEDED TO COVER AN AREA OF 2200 SQUARE UNITS IF ONE CAN OF PAINT COVERS AN AREA OF 400 SQUARE UNITS

That's an unusually profound question, clearly requiring an interdisciplinary approach.

Epistemology: What is the "AREA" that is being covered? Can it truly be encompassed only by the property of being covered by paint?
Physics: Under what conditions are two heterogeneous surfaces of identical area covered by the same amount of paint?
Psychoanalysis: How did it make the area feel to be covered with paint?
Geometry: Is the three-dimensional volume occupied by the applied paint translationally invariant?
Linguistics/semantics: Can "NEEDED" be interpreted only as 'to be used' in this context, or does it also permit the literal 'required'?
Ontology: Do the objects with the required PAINT-ness and COVERS AN AREA OF 400 SQUARE UNITS-ness exist, and can they be assumed identical on that basis? Does the paint retain its identity after application (is it the 'same paint')?
Theology: In what way will answering or applying this question help me serve my fellow man, or grow closer to God?
Meteorology: If the barometric pressure cannot be assumed constant from the baseline 400 SQUARE UNITS to the actual application, in what way will this affect the paint's ability to cover the surface? Given current climactic conditions in Nome, Alaska, what change can be expected over an estimated 40 minutes?
Chemistry: What surface properties of the area will significantly affect the cover of the paint?
Microeconomics: Compare the opportunity cost of this paint against a more expensive paint that also covers more thickly, doubling the effective life of the pain job. With current data, estimate the future value of the increase in price of the product in three bundles: low-risk (government bonds), medium-risk (commercial bonds and stock indices), and high-risk (stocks).
Experimental psychology: Consider how much time a student asking for homework problems to be solved on an internet forum will spend reading posts that don't answer his question, against the actual time it would have taken to solve the problem himself. Propose a reasonable model that explains this discrepancy.

lol

that was awesome... props man.

Real-life question

mandy.rupi said:
the answer should be 2200 divided by 400...what do u say

Hi mandy! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(Ignore the mad ones!)

You're confusing mathematics with real life.

This is a real-life question.

Just as no-none has 2.4 children, so no-one can buy half a can of paint (or one shoe-lace - why is that? - I often have one shoe-lace break - perhaps they should sell them in threes?).

So, although it's tempting to show off your mathematical skill and divide 2200 by 400 to get 5.5, the questioner wants to know how many whole cans to pick up from the store.

Not particularly profound, is it? :frown: But it's the question, so you have to answer it. :smile:

Same thing with question (b).

So the answer is … ? :smile:

1. "Can you help me with my math homework?"

Yes, I can help you with your math homework. What specific topic or problem are you struggling with?

2. "I don't understand this math concept, can you explain it to me?"

Of course! I'd be happy to explain the math concept to you. Can you tell me which concept you're having trouble with?

3. "How can I improve my math skills?"

One way to improve your math skills is to practice regularly. You can also seek out additional resources such as online tutorials or tutoring sessions.

4. "Do you have any tips for solving math problems?"

Yes, one tip for solving math problems is to read the problem carefully and make sure you understand what it is asking for. It can also be helpful to break the problem down into smaller, more manageable steps.

5. "I'm really struggling with math, can you recommend any resources for extra help?"

Absolutely! There are many online resources such as Khan Academy, MathisFun, and MathHelp that offer tutorials, practice problems, and other tools to help you improve your math skills. You can also consider seeking out a tutor for one-on-one help.