Find the Best College for Astro Physics/Cosmology: Tips and Advice

In summary, the author is interested in doing a career in the Astro Physics/Cosmology area, but is unsure of where to go to college. They have a 4.22 GPA and are not planning to let that fall in any way. They are currently a Junior in high school and are looking for advice on some good colleges/universities for what they want to do.
laurlaur
Please Help With My College Search!

So, I am currently a Junior at my high school and, although you never know for sure right now, I am pretty positive that I would like to do a career in the Astro Physics/Cosmology area. I currently have a 4.22 GPA (I am in honor classes) and am not planning to let that fall in any way. I'm going to be honest too, I do not count myself as a super smart brainiac, however I love to be challenged, I am an extremely motivated and determined person (if you couldn't already tell) and it's this career that interests me most and fits all the things I want to do in my future.

Where I am really stuck is where to go to college, I want to do something great but I feel like the only Physicists people listen to are the ones who have gone to Harvard and Cambridge and despite my GPA and service learning hours I don't think I would have a chance at getting into those colleges :frown: But I'm not going to let that stop me, so if anyone has some good advice on some great Colleges/Universities for what I want to do, that are not nearly impossible to get into, and any other good advice on this career please help me out!

Physics news on Phys.org

You are asking an open question with very vague qualifiers. If you are smart, motivated, and hard working you can do well in any program at any university. You don't need to go to Harvard or Cambridge (or any other "big name" institution) for an excellent Physics education.

Weighted GPAs are meaningless; every high school has their own weighting system, so it's impossible to determine what a 4.22 means. What's your unweighted GPA, SAT scores, and class rank? Those actually count when applying for colleges.

I'm not sure why you think "the only Physicists people listen to are the ones who have gone to Harvard and Cambridge" since it's unlikely you've been reading physics journals (and most of the physicists interviewed for popular TV didn't attend either, unless you've only heard of Hawking) but that's certainly not the case. You can do good physics just about anywhere. And fortunately for you, you can major in physics (since you'll need a PhD in physics or astronomy to work in the fields you listed, cosmology isn't a major, and astronomy majors usually don't include enough physics to get you into grad school) at pretty much any 4-year college or university. In fact, your local state school might have a great program (especially if you're in CA, TX, VA, MI, MA, HI, WA, WI, AZ, FL, NC, OH, etc).

I live in Arizona currently so if I could get opinions on which colleges/universities in this state that would be great, but I am not limiting myself to only ones here so any from other states would be appreciated as well. And no, I have not yet read many journals so I am gladly wrong about what I said, but it just seemed that way to me for the documentaries and books I'd read. My parents are not super supportive on my wanting to do this career either, which might put in for some of my hesitant/down attitude on it. If you know good statistics on how much you make in this field and pro/cons I could tell them about to let them know I am serious about this it would be very helpful!

and I have a 3.9 unweighted and am ranked 47 out of 780
also I go to a public school and my friend that goes to a charter school thinks she's going to look a lot beter then me even though I get beter gades than her. Is that true though, will going to a public school make me look a lot worse next to her?

Last edited:
APS releases yearly data on salaries for physics (and numerous other) degree graduates.

http://www.aps.org/careers/guidance/statistics.cfm

laurlaur said:
I live in Arizona currently so if I could get opinions on which colleges/universities in this state that would be great,

I understand the U of A in Tucson is pretty good for astrophysics. As you may be aware, they were responsible for the Mars lander a couple of years ago.

U of Arizona in Tucson is a top-10 astronomy school with a large physics program as well. They have a ton of access to telescopes on surrounding mountains, especially Kitt Peak, and are home to NOAO as well. It's a fantastic school for astronomy. ASU also has many good programs.

thank you! I am definitely going to look more into U of A now!

1. What are some top colleges for studying Astro Physics/Cosmology?

Some top colleges for studying Astro Physics/Cosmology include California Institute of Technology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Princeton University, University of California-Berkeley, and Harvard University.

2. What should I consider when choosing a college for Astro Physics/Cosmology?

When choosing a college for Astro Physics/Cosmology, you should consider the program's curriculum, research opportunities, faculty expertise and reputation, access to observatories and other resources, and overall academic and financial fit.

3. How important are internships and research experiences in this field?

Internships and research experiences are highly important in the field of Astro Physics/Cosmology. They provide hands-on experience and allow students to apply their knowledge and skills in a real-world setting. They also help students develop important connections and enhance their resumes for future job opportunities.

4. Are there any scholarships or financial aid available for studying Astro Physics/Cosmology?

Yes, there are scholarships and financial aid options available for students studying Astro Physics/Cosmology. Many colleges and universities offer merit-based and need-based scholarships, and there are also external scholarships specifically for students in this field. It is important to research and apply for these opportunities early.

5. Can I pursue a career in a different field with a degree in Astro Physics/Cosmology?

Yes, a degree in Astro Physics/Cosmology can open up various career opportunities in fields such as research, engineering, data analysis, science communication, and even finance or technology. The critical thinking and analytical skills gained from studying this field are highly valued in many industries.