How Can You Measure Radius Distortion in a Shattered Wineglass Using Resonance?

In summary, the conversation discusses using resonance to shatter a wineglass and filming the process with two different videos. The question is how to measure the distortion of the radius of the glass. One suggestion is to use the software Imagej to measure distances in images, but the exact method is still unclear. Other suggestions include using a ruler or scale paper to measure the change in radius. It is noted that the measurement may not be completely accurate without precise camera placement.
djandrey_m

Homework Statement

We shattered a wineglass using resonance. We also filmed the radius distortions here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpcXf906wPw&feature=channel_page

We also filmed it shattering here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45agipT91Vw&feature=channel

How do we measure how much the radius of the rim distorts?

2. The attempt at a solution

I got this free software Imagej, one can use it to set scale and measure distances in images. And do many other things. But I still can't figure out how to measure the amount of radius distortion. Anybody got any simpler and/or better ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Please help me on this. I guess I could use the primitive method of sticking a ruler to the screen and measuring the change in radius.

The best way would to have put some scale paper or something around the glass and then had cameras as specific locations such you could have measured from the paper.

Now it's going to be a tough realistic approximation.

1. What is resonance?

Resonance is a phenomenon that occurs when an object or system vibrates at its natural frequency, in response to an external force or energy. This results in a transfer of energy between the two, causing the object to vibrate with greater amplitude.

2. How does resonance work?

Resonance works by the principle of sympathetic vibration, where the energy from an external force is transferred to the object's natural frequency, causing it to vibrate in harmony. This amplifies the amplitude of the vibrations, making them more noticeable.

3. What are some real-life examples of resonance?

Some real-life examples of resonance include musical instruments, where the strings or air columns vibrate at their natural frequency to produce sound, and tuning forks, which vibrate at a specific frequency when struck.

4. How is resonance used in science and technology?

Resonance is used in science and technology for various purposes, such as in musical instruments, radio and television broadcasting, and medical imaging. It is also used in engineering to reduce vibrations and increase the stability of structures.

5. How can I conduct a resonance science project?

To conduct a resonance science project, you can start by selecting an object or system and determining its natural frequency. Then, introduce an external force or energy to the object and observe how it responds. You can also vary the frequency of the external force and note any changes in the object's vibration. Make sure to record your observations and analyze your results.