1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help with relative motion problem

1. Nov 4, 2004 #1
    please help with relative motion problem!!!

I need some help with this question, i know the axis needs to be rotated but i'm not sure how to go about doing that. I also need to know how to do it using the component method.

-two canoeists, A and B, live on opposite shores of a 300m wide river that flows east at .80m/s. A lives on the north shore and B lives on the south shore. They both set out to visit a mutual friend X who lives on the north shore at a point 200m upstream from A and 200m downstream for B. Both canoeists can propel their canoes at 2.4m/s through the water. How much time must canoeist A wait after canoeist B sets out so that they both arrive at X at the same time? Both canoeists make their respective trips by the most direct routes.

THANKYOU!!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2004 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Think in velocity vectors. For B to get to X he moves directly toward X at a velocity consisting the sum of two velocity vectors. You know the magnitude and direction of the current flow vector (.8 m/s east). You know the magnitude of the canoe vector (2.4 m/s). You know the direction of the resultant (from B to X). So the canoe must move with velocity such that its eastward speed / northward speed = 2/3.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?