Please help with simplfying a floor/ceiling function

• Thread starter stunner5000pt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the conversation discusses simplifying the expression Floor[Ceiling[x-1/2] - 7/5] and graphing it. The main point of confusion is the removal of 1/2, and it is clarified that Floor[x-y] does not equal Floor[x] - y. The suggestion is made to replace Floor with Ceiling and it is explained that Ceiling is an integer valued function. The simplified expression is found to be Ceiling[x-1/2] - 2/5.
stunner5000pt
note; This is NOT a homework assignment please help me because i need to know this properly for a test i have tomorrow

Given is a question Floor[ Ceiling [x-1/2] - 7/5 ] and they ask to graph it.

i'm fine with graphing it but simplfying this i what I'm a bit confused on

my first step was Floor [ Ceiling [ x ] - 1/2 - 7/5 ] and there's a mistake in the way i removed the 1/2 why?

please help

Mathematics news on Phys.org
because floor{x-y] does not equal floor[x] - y for a start? floor is not linear like that. replace the word lfoor there with ceiling.

simplify it? ok, ceiling is an integer valued function, so if i take off 7/5 from an integer and then take the floor of that, that's the same as taking off the other 3/5 isn't it? so it simplifies to ceiling[x-1/2] - 2

The first step you have taken to simplify the expression is incorrect. In the original expression, the x value is being subtracted by 1/2 before it is passed into the ceiling function. This means that the value inside the ceiling function will always be equal to or greater than x-1/2. Therefore, when you remove the 1/2, you are changing the value inside the ceiling function and potentially changing the result of the expression.

To properly simplify the expression, you can first start by simplifying the ceiling function. Remember that the ceiling function rounds up to the nearest integer. So, Ceiling[x-1/2] would be equal to x if x is a whole number, or x+1 if x is a decimal.

Next, you can simplify the floor function by applying the same logic. Floor[x-1/2-7/5] would be equal to x-2 if x is a whole number, or x-1 if x is a decimal.

Therefore, the simplified expression would be Floor[Ceiling[x]-2] if x is a whole number, or Floor[Ceiling[x]-1] if x is a decimal.

I hope this helps and good luck on your test tomorrow! Remember to always double check your work and make sure you properly understand the concepts before applying them.

1. What is a floor/ceiling function?

A floor/ceiling function is a mathematical function that rounds a real number down or up to the nearest integer. The floor function rounds the number down to the nearest integer, while the ceiling function rounds the number up to the nearest integer.

2. How do I simplify a floor/ceiling function?

To simplify a floor/ceiling function, you can use the following rules:

• If the function has a single number inside, the floor/ceiling function can be removed and the number can be rounded down or up to the nearest integer.
  • If the function has an expression inside, you can distribute the floor/ceiling function to each term in the expression and then simplify each term separately.

3. What is the difference between a floor/ceiling function and a round function?

The main difference between a floor/ceiling function and a round function is the direction of rounding. A floor/ceiling function rounds down or up to the nearest integer, while a round function rounds to the nearest integer. For example, the floor of 2.6 is 2, while the round of 2.6 is 3.

4. Can a floor/ceiling function be used with negative numbers?

Yes, a floor/ceiling function can be used with negative numbers. The floor function rounds a negative number down to the nearest integer, while the ceiling function rounds a negative number up to the nearest integer.

5. What is the purpose of using a floor/ceiling function?

The floor/ceiling function is often used in mathematical and computer programming applications where whole numbers are needed. It can also be used to simplify complex expressions and make them easier to work with.