Solve Complex Number Equation: z^2+4z ̅+4=0 | Expert Help Available

In summary, to find all solutions to z^2+4z ̅+4=0 where z is a complex number, you can either factorize it into (z+2)^2=0 or use the fact that z=a+ib and \overline{z}=a-ib and plug these values into the expression. Then, by equating the real and imaginary parts, you can solve for a and b and find the solutions z=2+4i, z=2-4i, and z=-2.
ronho1234
find all the solutions to z^2+4z ̅+4=0 where z is a complex number.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the quadratic [itex]z^2+4z+4[/itex]? Simply use the quadratic formula.

i think I'm getting confused so is the answer for z=2 or do i have to represent it as complex 2isquared? because the question asks for all solution so i don't think 2 is right... and what does the bar on top of the z mean?

ronho1234 said:
i think I'm getting confused so is the answer for z=2 or do i have to represent it as complex 2isquared? because the question asks for all solution so i don't think 2 is right... and what does the bar on top of the z mean?

Oh I see, so you were trying to solve [itex]z^2+4\overline{z}+4=0[/itex] then? Because in your OP I'm just seeing a box that is being replaced by whatever you wanted to write down.

If it's just [itex]z^2+4z+4[/itex] then you can simply factorize it into [itex](z+2)^2=0[/itex] which would give you the answer of z=-2, but this can't be right because the question already stated that z is a complex number (imaginary part is not 0 by assumption).

If it's [itex]z^2+4\overline{z}+4=0[/itex] then you'll need to use the fact that [itex]z=a+ib[/itex] and [itex]\overline{z}=a-ib[/itex] and plug these values into the expression and then simplify and equate the real and imaginary parts.
What I mean by equating them is if you end up with something like [itex]ab+2+(a-1)i=0[/itex] then what you can take away from this is that [itex]ab+2=0[/itex] and [itex]a-1=0[/itex] because the LHS is equal to the RHS thus the real part on the LHS is equal to 0 on the RHS, and the imaginary part on the LHS is equal to the imaginary part on the RHS (the RHS is equal to 0+0i).

so i partially understand what you have
so i did something like this:
z = a+ib and zbar=a-ib
because i split them like you said (z+2i)(z-2i)=0
so i made a+ib=z+2 and a-ib=zbar+2
so z=a+ib-2 and zbar=a-ib-2
i put these back into th eqn (a+ib-2)squared +4(a-ib-2)+4=0
then i expand and simplify i get a squared+2aib-8ib-b-4=0
and so (a squared -b-4)+2i(ab-4b)=0?
then a squared -b=4 and ab=4b
so a=4 and b=12?
then so i get z=4+12i and zbar=4-12i ?
i don't get why we have to split it as z and zbar...

Whew that was a tough one to follow.

ronho1234 said:
so i did something like this:
z = a+ib and zbar=a-ib
because i split them like you said (z+2i)(z-2i)=0

Ok stop right there. Where did I say to "split them" as such? If [itex]z=a+ib[/itex] and [itex]\overline{z}=a-ib[/itex] then substituting these values into

[tex]z^2+4\overline{z}+4=0[/tex]

gives us

[tex](a+ib)^2+4(a-ib)+4=0[/tex]

Now expand, simplify, and collect the real and imaginary parts and equate them.

i reread your explanation and redid it
so what i did was sub a+ib and a-ib straight into z^2+4zbar+4=0
and i got a squared -b squared +4 + 4a +2bi(a-2) = o
and then a-2=0 a=2 and a squared -b squared +4+4a=0
and i get a=2 and b=+/-4
do i sub these back into z and z bar or something?

so my solutions are: z=2+4i and z=2-4i??

ronho1234 said:
so my solutions are: z=2+4i and z=2-4i??

And z=-2. Real numbers are a subset of the complex plane.

ronho1234 said:
i reread your explanation and redid it
so what i did was sub a+ib and a-ib straight into z^2+4zbar+4=0
and i got a squared -b squared +4 + 4a +2bi(a-2) = o

So far so good.

and then a-2=0 a=2

OR b=0.

That's also a valid solution.

and a squared -b squared +4+4a=0
and i get a=2 and b=+/-4
do i sub these back into z and z bar or something?

When you sub b=0 back into this, you get a2 + 4a + 4=0, which will give you a=-2, b=0; the only real solution z=-2 which I mentioned in my last post.

So there are three solutions in total.

yep... so my solutions are z=2+4i, z=2-4i and z=-2
thankyou!

In the future use punctuation and be neater so people can help you easily!

1. What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that contains both a real part and an imaginary part. It is usually written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part. The imaginary part is represented by the letter i, which is defined as the square root of -1.

2. How do you perform operations with complex numbers?

To perform operations with complex numbers, you can use the rules of arithmetic with the added rule that i^2 = -1. Addition and subtraction of complex numbers is done by combining the real parts and imaginary parts separately. Multiplication of complex numbers is done by using the FOIL method, and division is done by multiplying the numerator and denominator by the complex conjugate of the denominator.

3. What is the polar form of a complex number?

The polar form of a complex number is a different way of representing a complex number. It is written in the form r(cosθ + isinθ), where r is the distance from the origin to the complex number and θ is the angle formed by a horizontal line from the origin to the complex number. It is useful for performing certain operations, such as finding roots of complex numbers.

4. How do you convert a complex number from rectangular form to polar form?

To convert a complex number from rectangular form (a + bi) to polar form (r(cosθ + isinθ)), you can use the following formulas: r = √(a^2 + b^2) and θ = tan^-1(b/a). These formulas use the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions to find the distance and angle of the complex number from the origin.

5. What are some applications of complex numbers in real life?

Complex numbers have many applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to represent alternating currents in electrical circuits, analyze vibrations in mechanical systems, and model the stock market. They are also used in signal processing, quantum mechanics, and many other areas of science and technology.