Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help with this differential equation

1. Sep 20, 2013 #1
    I cannot figure out where I am going wrong. My answer and the textbook answer are different by a negative sign. Can someone review my work and tell me what I am doing wrong?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2013 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Why do you think, your solution is wrong? It's perfectly right! It's the general solution of the equation (I've not checked it, but this you can do by taking the derivative and check whether it fulfills your equation), and whether you call the integration constant [itex]-C_3[/itex] or [itex]C[/itex] doesn't matter.

The solution is made unique by giving, e.g., an initial value [itex]y(0)=y_0[/itex] as a constraint. If you use this in your and the textbook's answer you'll get the same result by choosing the right [itex]C_3[/itex] and [itex]C[/itex] to match the initial-value constraint, respectively.

4. Sep 20, 2013 #3
    Ah yes, the constant...the (x2+4)-4 term can be positive or negative because of the constant.

Thank you for reviewing my work and pointing that out. Amateur mistake :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook