How Does Green's Identity Prove Solutions in Poisson's Equation?

• Thread starter OliviaB
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hard
In summary: This theorem states that if u and v are two solutions of \bigtriangledown^2 u = p(x) u \ \ x \in \mathcal{R} \ \ \bigtriangledown \cdot n = g(x) \ \x \in \partial \mathcal{R}, then u - v is also a solution of the Poisson equation with zero boundary conditions. From part (i), we know that u ≡ 0 on \mathcal{R}. Therefore, u - v ≡ 0 on \mathcal{R}, which implies that u ≡ v on \mathcal{R}. Thus, u is unique. In summary, to show that u ≡ 0 on \
OliviaB
I think this is Poisson's Equation (and inhomogenous). I think I need to use Green's Identity.

Let [itex] \mathcal{R} [/itex] be a bounded region in [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex], and suppose [itex] p(x) > 0 [/itex] on [itex] \mathcal{R}[/itex].

(i) If [itex]u[/itex] is a solution of

[itex]\bigtriangledown^2 u = p(x) u \ \ x \in \mathcal{R} \ \ \bigtriangledown \cdot n = 0 \ \x \in \partial \mathcal{R}[/itex]

show that [itex]u \equiv 0[/itex] on [itex]\mathcal{R}[/itex]

(ii) If [itex]u[/itex] is a solution of

[itex]\bigtriangledown^2 u = p(x) u \ \ x \in \mathcal{R} \ \ \bigtriangledown \cdot n = g(x) \ \x \in \partial \mathcal{R}[/itex]

show that [itex]u[/itex] is unique (It can be assumed that part (i) is true).

I don't know how to start this...

Physics news on Phys.org
Solution: (i) To show that u ≡ 0 on \mathcal{R}, we can use Green's Identity. Green's identity states that for any two functions u and v, \int_\mathcal{R} \bigtriangledown u \cdot \bigtriangledown v \, dx = \int_\mathcal{R} u \bigtriangledown^2 v \, dx - \oint_{\partial R} v \bigtriangledown u \cdot n \, ds Letting u = 1 and v = u, we have \int_\mathcal{R} \bigtriangledown u \cdot \bigtriangledown u \, dx = \int_\mathcal{R} u \bigtriangledown^2 u \, dx - \oint_{\partial R} u \bigtriangledown u \cdot n \, ds Substituting in the equation \bigtriangledown^2 u = p(x) u we have \int_\mathcal{R} \bigtriangledown u \cdot \bigtriangledown u \, dx = \int_\mathcal{R} u^2 p(x) \, dx - \oint_{\partial R} u \bigtriangledown u \cdot n \, ds Since \bigtriangledown \cdot n = 0, the second term is zero. As u > 0 on \mathcal{R}, this implies that \int_\mathcal{R} \bigtriangledown u \cdot \bigtriangledown u \, dx = \int_\mathcal{R} u^2 p(x) \, dx However, as \bigtriangledown u = 0, the left hand side is also zero. This implies that \int_\mathcal{R} u^2 p(x) \, dx = 0, which implies that u ≡ 0 on \mathcal{R}.(ii) To show that u is unique, we can use the uniqueness theorem for the Poisson equation.

1. How can I approach solving this hard question?

There are a few steps you can take to approach solving a difficult question. First, read the question carefully and make sure you understand what it is asking. Then, break the question down into smaller parts and try to identify any patterns or relationships. If you are still stuck, consider seeking help from a teacher, tutor, or peer.

2. What should I do if I don't understand the question?

If you don't understand a hard question, don't panic. Take a deep breath and reread the question a few times. If you are still unsure, try paraphrasing the question or breaking it down into simpler terms. You can also ask for clarification from the person who assigned the question or from a classmate.

3. How long should I spend trying to solve a hard question?

The amount of time you spend on a hard question will depend on the complexity of the question and your level of understanding. It is important to give yourself enough time to think through the question and try different approaches, but don't spend too much time on one question if it is impeding your progress on other tasks.

4. Are there any resources that can help me with this hard question?

Yes, there are many resources available to help with difficult questions. You can consult textbooks, online tutorials, or seek help from a teacher or tutor. It can also be helpful to form study groups with classmates to work through challenging questions together.

5. How can I prevent getting stuck on hard questions in the future?

To prevent getting stuck on hard questions in the future, it is important to regularly practice and review the material. This will help you gain a deeper understanding of the concepts and improve your problem-solving skills. Additionally, don't be afraid to ask for help and seek clarification when needed. With consistent effort and determination, you can become better equipped to tackle difficult questions.