Please help with this level curve

• Thread starter ronho1234
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curve
In summary, the conversation discusses drawing the level curves of the equation z=(x^2-2y+6)/(3x^2+y) at heights z=0 and z=1, with the speaker already having computed the equations and drawn them in 2D. They are unsure how to plot it with an "extra z-axis" but are reminded that the level curves are in the xy-plane and can be graphed as parabolas.
ronho1234
sketch the level curve z=(x^2-2y+6)/(3x^2+y) at heights z=0 and z=1

i have already compute the 2 equations for the 2 z values and drawn it in 2d but when it comes to plotting it with the extra z axis i don't know what to do. please help...

Physics news on Phys.org
As your title suggests, what you need is a 'level curve', not a level surface.

Maybe I'm wrong, but if I had to do this exercise, I'd find y(x) for z=1 and z=0 and draw them, as you say have done already. I think you're done already.

There is no "extra z-axis". There is no z-axis at all! The level curves you are asked to draw are in the xy-plane. Graph [itex](x^2-2y+6)/(3x^2+y)= 0[/itex] and [itex](x^2-2y+6)/(3x^2+y)= 1[/itex].

The first is easy- it is the same as the graph of [itex]x^2- 2y+ 6= 0[/itex] which is just the parabola [itex]y= (1/2)x^2+ 3[/itex]. The second is not much harder: [itex]x^2- 2y+ 6= 4x^2+ y[/itex] or [itex]y= 6- 3x^2[/itex], also a parabola.

1. What is a level curve?

A level curve is a type of graph that shows the points on a surface where the function has a constant value. It is created by plotting the points where the function's output is the same for different input values.

2. How do you interpret a level curve?

A level curve can be interpreted as a contour line on a map, where each line represents points with the same elevation. In the case of a level curve, each line represents points with the same function value.

3. Why are level curves important in science?

Level curves are important in science because they help us visualize and understand complex functions. They can also be used to identify critical points, such as maxima and minima, and determine the behavior of a function in different regions.

4. How do you create a level curve?

To create a level curve, you first need to choose a function and a range of input values. Then, you can plot the points where the function has the same output value for different input values. This will create a series of curves that represent the level curves for that particular function.

5. What is the relationship between level curves and gradient?

The gradient of a function at a specific point is perpendicular to the level curve at that point. This means that the gradient can be used to determine the direction in which the function is increasing or decreasing. The steeper the level curve, the larger the gradient, and the faster the function is changing.