1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help with this physics p and d please?

1. Jul 23, 2012 #1
    title of lab is fluid and pressure
    hypothesis: fluid pressure varies with size of opening
    aim: to determine whether fluid pressure varies with size of opening

i need help with the expected results, discussion, variables: (manipulated, responding and constant), sources of error, limitations and precautions

would anyone please help me in these areas please??

to have an idea of what the lab looks like.. its a set up of 4 different regular shaped plastic containers with holes of radii 1mm, 5mm, 10mm and 20mm in each container such that the center of the hole is 5cm from the ground. im suppose to block the hole and fill the container completely then unblock the hole and measure the maximum distance the water reached.

one expected result i have so far is that the diameter is inversely proportional to the flow rate; the smaller the hole the further the water will go.

for my limitations i have: altitude affects the distance travelled by the water.
    the for precautions i have: it should be performed outside and wind might affect the distance travelled by the gush of water and leave the container empty.
    for my variables i have: manipulated- the amount of water used, responding- the flow rate and the amount of water released and for constant- the size of the holes, nature of the fluid

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2012 #2
    I hesitate to help because I am not sure what you are doing. Seems you got a lot of things going on here.

But pleading gets to me...

First off your to statements in red and bolded seem to contradict each other. I think I might know what you are trying to do but it does not read this way. So what does the 2nd red phrase mean?

4. Jul 24, 2012 #3
    well actually i was trying to explain what i had to do.. like shorten the procedure a bit so you would have an idea

5. Jul 24, 2012 #4
    So the second red statement is the distance the water level drops in the container, or the distance to the ground?

6. Jul 25, 2012 #5
    the distance to the ground

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook