1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1. Jan 20, 2006 #1
    I really need to know the answer so any help will be appreciated.

Q:- How many minutes would it take to travel from Venus to the Sun on 17th of May 2006 with the speed of light in Vacuum?

I know it's really hard but any help will be appretiated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2006 #2
    I may help you with your question.The speed of light in vaccum is 299792.458km per second and the distance between venus and sun is 108.2 million km
    From milind shyani(india)
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2006
  4. Jan 20, 2006 #3

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Milind: Thanks for helping, but we ask that you don't offer complete solutions. I've edited your post so that there is something left for jay_Z_100 to do.

jay_Z_100: You have to show some attempt at answering your own question. The problem is really not difficult at all. It is just simple kinematics, along with a little digging around for the distance between Venus and the Sun and for the speed of light. Milind did the digging for you, but there is no reason you cannot do it yourself.

Try to finish the problem using a basic formula of kinematics.
  5. Jan 20, 2006 #4

Science Advisor

Either way, the answers wouldn't be correct, just approximate. For actual numbers, you would need an ephemeris generator or one by date since Venus's, and every other, orbit is elliptical with a perihelion and aphelion.
  6. Jan 20, 2006 #5
    But will the approximation of distance be 108.2 million km as of May 17th 2006?

The OP must find the ecentricity of Venus's orbit and wether it will be closer to apogee or perigee.

Oldly enough, the question is worded "from Venus to the Sun" and not the other way around, because it may be too simple to where the student could google the answer, but does the wording of the question make any difference with reference to traveling at the speed of light?
  7. Jan 20, 2006 #6

Science Advisor

Venus' aphelion is May 16-2006, Central time, might be May 17th GMT.
    Venus has no apogee or perigee. "Gee" refers to Geos = Earth. For the Sun, it is perihelion and aphelion. For other stars, the terms are periastron and apastron.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?