with this tension problem -- Mass on an accelerating cable

In summary, the tension of the cable is 301.35 N when a 35 kg mass is being raised by a cable with decreasing speed, given that the upward velocity is 1.6 m/s and the downward acceleration is 1.2 m/s2. Velocity does not affect the tension in this case and can be excluded from the tension equation.
Jett Johnson

Homework Statement

A 35 kg mass is being raised by a cable with decreasing speed. At the instant the upward velocity has a magnitude of 1.6 m/s and the downward acceleration has magnitude of 1.2 m/s2, what is the tension of the cable?

m=35 kg
v=1.6 m/s
a= -1.2 m/s2
g= 9.81 m/s2

Homework Equations

T=mg+ma

The Attempt at a Solution

My professor may be the worst on the planet and hasn't taught us this, I also cannot find any help in the book or online. I do not know how to input velocity into the tension equation. Please Help Thanks...

Physics news on Phys.org
Jett Johnson said:
I do not know how to input velocity into the tension equation.
You don't have to. Velocity doesn't affect the tension -- that's why it doesn't appear in the tension equation.

So mg= 35 x 9.81 ; ma= 35 x 1.2
T=mg+ma
T= 343.35-42=
301.35 N ?

Jett Johnson said:
So mg= 35 x 9.81 ; ma= 35 x 1.2
T=mg+ma
T= 343.35-42=
301.35 N ?
Looks good to me! (You can round off your answer to fewer digits.)

1. What is tension?

Tension is a force that is transmitted through a medium, such as a rope or cable, when it is pulled tight by forces acting on both ends.

2. How does tension affect a mass on an accelerating cable?

Tension is directly related to the acceleration of the mass on a cable. When the cable is accelerating, the tension in the cable will increase or decrease depending on the direction of the acceleration.

3. What is the relationship between tension and the mass on an accelerating cable?

The tension in a cable is directly proportional to the mass on the cable. This means that as the mass increases, the tension in the cable will also increase.

4. Can tension on a cable be greater than the weight of the mass?

Yes, tension on a cable can be greater than the weight of the mass. This can occur when the cable is being pulled or accelerated in a direction that is opposite to the force of gravity.

5. How can the tension on a cable be calculated?

The tension on a cable can be calculated using Newton's Second Law, which states that force is equal to mass times acceleration (F=ma). In this case, the force is the tension in the cable, the mass is the mass on the cable, and the acceleration is the acceleration of the cable.