1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help with vectors

1. Nov 25, 2003 #1
    [SOLVED] please help with vectors

ok right now vectors and two dimensional kinematics are really confusing me i know most if not all of the equations however i dont understand what is suppose to be placed instead of Vo or Vy. can somebody please help.[?]

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2003 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm guessing that you mean "how to find Vx and Vy" when you are given Vo plus an angle?

If you do not like trigonometry, here's a shortcut to remembering:
    first, make sure that the angle you have is the angle from the horizontal axis (the "x" axis, or the east-west axis). If you are given the angle from the vertical axis, subtract that angle from 90 to get the other.

If you are using the angle "from the horizontal" then the x component (Vx) will always be the magnitude of the original vector (Vo) times the cosine of the angle.

The vertical component (Vy) will be Vo times the sine of the angle.

Note, this is a short-cut for those who don't "get" the trigonometry. Things go better if you do "get" the trig, so if this does not help you, we could take this further.

4. Nov 25, 2003 #3
    u can see it graphically

Attached Files:

• a.jpg
      a.jpg
      File size:
      4.6 KB
      Views:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?