Calculate the line of sight velocity dispersion of the cluster in km/sec

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the doppler shift effect and velocity dispersion in a star cluster. One person attempts to use a formula to calculate the line of sight velocity dispersion, while another offers a suggestion for calculating the distance. The conversation concludes with a reminder that seeking help online for homework assignments is not appropriate.
ladybug1829
Please Help :)

"Calcium H and K lines have rest frame wavelengths of 3968.5 A (angstrom). Spectroscopy of 5 stars in a cluster revealed that the Ca H line was detected at
3970.1 A
3966.3 A
3967.5 A
3971.0 A
3968.2 A
in each of these five stars. Calculate the line of sight velocity dispersion of the cluster in km/sec. The rms of the proper motions of these 5 stars was measured to be 1.3 arcseconds / year. Calculate the distance to the star cluster.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

ladybug1829 said:
I have no idea how to do this. My dad said if I can find the answer online he will buy me a new car. He is trying to prove to me that people online are wasting their lives. Anyone that can help please?

... what?

People online do waste their lives but... what?

Except for physics forums.

Your dad is teaching astronomy or physics? This is a problem that has to do with the doppler shift effect of the light the stars emmit as they move closer or further from earth.

I could help if this was a simple case with stars moving in the line that connects them with Earth but this isn't the case , a star movemnt doesn't necessarily follow this line.

Ok i ll try to use the formula from wikipedia [tex]f_i=(1-\frac{v_i}{c})f_0 [/tex] where [tex]v_i[/tex] is the velocity of the star i relative to Earth and i=1...5. Solving for [tex]v_i[/tex] we have

[tex]v_i=(1-\frac{f_i}{f_0})c=(1-\frac{\lambda_0}{\lambda_i})c[/tex]

We know that [tex]\lambda_0=3968.5A[/tex] and also the values for the [tex]\lambda_i[/tex] so we can now compute [tex]v_i[/tex].

[tex]v_1=120,9Km/s, v_2=-166,4Km/s, v_3=-75,6Km/s, v_4=188,8km/s, v_5=-22,6Km/s[/tex]. The mean value of these 5 velocities is 9,02km/s and the dispersion is 179,78km/s.

Got no clue how to answer the second question for the distance.

Last edited:

btw, i am not sure at all how velocity dispersion is defined. if it is [tex]\sqrt{ \sum_{i=1}^{5}\frac{(v_i-m)^2}{5}}[/tex] where m is the mean value then it is 129,4Km/s.

Last edited:

1".3arc = (1.3/3600) degrees = (1.3/3600) X (TT / 180) Radians
= 6.302577854 X 10^-6 Radians
= proper motion / distance.
=> distance = proper motion / 6.302577854 X 10^-6 Radians
= 158,665.2356 X proper motion.

Derive the rms value of the five (divide by 5 to get mean square) that gives standard deviation. And to get the 'proper motion' put that in this equation to get 'Distance'.

Someone else gave me this. I am sooo confused lol

ladybug1829 said:
I have no idea how to do this. My dad said if I can find the answer online he will buy me a new car. He is trying to prove to me that people online are wasting their lives. Anyone that can help please?
Physics Forums is not the place to have other people do your homework for you. Probably best to look elsewhere.

1. How is the line of sight velocity dispersion of a cluster calculated?

The line of sight velocity dispersion of a cluster is calculated by measuring the velocities of individual galaxies within the cluster along the line of sight and using the formula: σ = √(Σ(v - v̅)^2 / N), where σ is the velocity dispersion, v is the velocity of each galaxy, v̅ is the average velocity of all galaxies, and N is the total number of galaxies.

2. Why is it important to calculate the line of sight velocity dispersion of a cluster?

Calculating the line of sight velocity dispersion of a cluster can provide valuable information about the dynamics and structure of the cluster, as well as the distribution of mass within the cluster. It can also help us understand the formation and evolution of clusters and their constituent galaxies.

3. What units are used to express the line of sight velocity dispersion of a cluster?

The line of sight velocity dispersion of a cluster is typically expressed in units of kilometers per second (km/sec). This unit is commonly used in astronomy to measure velocities of celestial objects.

4. Can the line of sight velocity dispersion of a cluster change over time?

Yes, the line of sight velocity dispersion of a cluster can change over time as the cluster evolves and galaxies within the cluster interact with each other. However, changes in the velocity dispersion can also be affected by the observational techniques and limitations of measuring velocities.

5. How is the line of sight velocity dispersion of a cluster related to the overall mass of the cluster?

The line of sight velocity dispersion of a cluster is directly related to the overall mass of the cluster. This is because the velocity dispersion is influenced by the gravitational pull of the cluster's mass on its constituent galaxies. Therefore, a higher velocity dispersion typically indicates a higher mass for the cluster.