Electronics Engineering or should I study Mathematics instead?

In summary, Diana thinks that it is a hard choice but if she were to choose between continuing in Electrical and Electronics Engineering or studying Mathematics, she would choose to continue in Electrical and Electronics Engineering.
Dianaelq
Hello, my name is Diana and I'm studying Electrical and Electronics Engineering. I really love and enjoy Physics so much, and I was planning to study Physics after graduating from Electrical and Electronics Engineering. This is my first semester by the way. The reason I didn't apply for Physics is because I want to study Physics in the US and I wan't to enter a really great university, because I really want to be a Physicist and I want to be able to work as a researcher. Anyhow... I felt like studying Electrical and Electronics Engineering is a waste of time because I'll be taking all these courses again when I study Physics.
So, I was thinking that I should probably leave Electrical and Electronics Engineering and study Mathematics instead. I am really not that good at math... I know this sounds weird... I understand Physics but I have trouble understanding Mathematics... and I feel like in order to be a great Physicist I should be good in Mathematics...

So is this the right thing to do? Should I stay in Electrical and Electronics Engineering or should I study Mathematics instead?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure if you will have to take all of the courses again at all. Usually you have a choice of courses to take though there are some compulsory modules. I would have thought the enforced overlap would actually be very small indeed, but check out the syllabuses and see for yourself. Electronics is a really in demand field so it is a great course to do as a fall back. Best of luck.

Well seems a hard choice but if i were you i would continue in EE (because a degree in EE i think gives you better professional and carrer options than a degree in math)and try to study the branches of math that relate to theoretical physics on my own (like calculus, algebra,probabilities, maybe functional analysis). Besides i think when you going to study physics in a good US university you will be able to take courses in all the math that will be required for your physics understanding.

1. Should I study Electronics Engineering or Mathematics?

Both fields have their own unique benefits and career opportunities. It ultimately depends on your interests and career goals. If you enjoy working with technology and designing electronic systems, then Electronics Engineering may be the better choice for you. If you have a strong passion for solving complex mathematical problems and enjoy theoretical concepts, then Mathematics may be a better fit.

2. Is Electronics Engineering more challenging than Mathematics?

Both fields have their own challenges and require a strong understanding of mathematical concepts. Electronics Engineering may require hands-on skills and practical applications, while Mathematics may involve more abstract thinking and problem-solving. It ultimately depends on the individual and their strengths.

3. What kind of job opportunities are available for Electronics Engineering graduates?

Electronics Engineering graduates have a wide range of job opportunities in industries such as telecommunications, computer hardware, automotive, and aerospace. They can work as electrical engineers, circuit designers, embedded systems engineers, and many other roles that involve designing and developing electronic systems.

4. Can I combine Electronics Engineering and Mathematics in my studies?

Yes, many universities offer joint programs where students can study both Electronics Engineering and Mathematics. This can be beneficial for those who have a strong interest in both fields and want to combine their skills for a specific career path, such as in the field of data science or artificial intelligence.

5. What skills do I need to succeed in Electronics Engineering?

Some essential skills for Electronics Engineering include strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, and a good understanding of mathematical concepts. It is also important to have good communication and teamwork skills, as most projects in this field require collaboration with other engineers and professionals.