Maxwell's Equations & Wave Equation: An Overview

In summary, the magnetic and electric fields in a medium obey Maxwell's equations, which state that the magnetic field curl and electric field gradient are both zero.
may de vera
Let respectively b = (b1, b2, b3) and e = (e1, e2, e3) denote the magnetic
and electric field in some medium. They are governed by Maxwell’s equations which look as follows:
(0.1) [tex]\partial[/tex]te = curl b
(0.2) [tex]\partial[/tex]tb = − curl e
(0.3) div e = 0
(0.4) div b = 0.
Show that each bi and each ei satisfies the wave equation
([tex]\partial[/tex]t2 - [tex]\Delta[/tex]) [tex]\varphi[/tex]=0

Physics news on Phys.org
Try it. It's not that hard. It might help to know curl(curl(A))=grad(div(A))-laplacian(A).

taking curl of both side:
curl (dt e) = grad (div e) - laplacian (e)
curl (dt e) = grad (0) - laplacian (e)

i don't know what I'm doing =(

dt e=curl b. Taking curl of both sides. curl(dt e)=curl(curl(b))=grad(div B)-laplacian(B)=grad(0)-laplacian(b)=-laplacian(b). Now curl(dt e)=dt(curl e). Continue...

curl (dt e) = -laplacian (b)
dt (curl e) = -laplacian (b)
-dt b = -laplacian (b)
dt b = laplacian (b)
0 = laplacian (b)

and then taking curl of 0.2:
dtb = -curl e
curl (dt b) = curl (-curl e)
dt (curl b) = -curl (curl e)
dt (e) = -grad( div e) - laplacian (e)
= -grad (0) - laplacian (e)
dt (e) = - laplacian (e)
0 = laplacian e

how does that satisfy the wave equation? is it because that they both equal to zero?

You aren't being very careful with signs and you are dropping a dt. dt(dt(e))=[itex]\partial^2_t E[/itex]. Why are you turning dt(e) and dt(b) into zero? You want to get dt(dt(b))=laplacian(b) and the same for e.

i finally got down to: dt(dt(b)) = laplacian (b) and dt(dt(e))= -laplacian e

i still don't understand how that applies to the wave equation.

may de vera said:
i finally got down to: dt(dt(b)) = laplacian (b) and dt(dt(e))= -laplacian e

i still don't understand how that applies to the wave equation.

You've STILL got a sign wrong in the e part. What you've quoted in the problem as the wave equation is what we've been writing as dt(dt(phi))-laplacian(phi)=0. Look up those symbols.

i found out where i made a mistake with that negative sign. i got it now. thank you so so muchhhhh! happy thanksgiving!

What are Maxwell's Equations?

Maxwell's Equations are a set of four fundamental equations that describe the relationship between electric and magnetic fields, and how they interact with each other and with electric charges. They were developed by James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century and are a cornerstone of classical electromagnetism.

What is the significance of Maxwell's Equations?

The significance of Maxwell's Equations lies in their ability to accurately describe and predict the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. They have been rigorously tested and have been foundational in the development of modern technology, such as radio and telecommunications.

What is the Wave Equation?

The Wave Equation is a partial differential equation that describes the propagation of waves through a medium. It is derived from Maxwell's Equations and is used to model a variety of wave phenomena, including light, sound, and water waves.

What is the relationship between Maxwell's Equations and the Wave Equation?

The Wave Equation is derived from Maxwell's Equations, specifically the equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in a vacuum. This relationship shows how electromagnetic waves propagate through space and how they are related to the electric and magnetic fields.

How are Maxwell's Equations and the Wave Equation used in real-world applications?

Maxwell's Equations and the Wave Equation have numerous applications in real-world technology, including radio and telecommunications, radar and satellite communication, and medical imaging. They are also used in the study of optics and quantum mechanics, and are essential for understanding the behavior of light and other electromagnetic waves.