Please i cannot find any help on this question so far

• Thread starter bharp24
  • Start date
In summary: This can be calculated by using the formula for thermal conductivity, Q = kA(T2-T1)/L, where Q is the heat flow per unit time, k is the thermal conductivity, A is the cross-sectional area, T2 and T1 are the temperatures at the ends of the element, and L is the length of the element.In summary, the conversation discusses a rod with a uniform temperature of 0 degrees celsius, one end kept at 0 degrees celsius and the other in contact with a steam bath. The cross-sectional area, length, thermal conductivity, density, and specific heat capacity of the rod are given. The conversation then asks how many joules of heat energy flow across one end of a short cylindrical element
bharp24
please... i cannot find any help on this question so far!

A rod is initially at a uniform temperature of 0 degress celsius throughout. One end is kept at 0 degress celsius, and the other is brought into contact with a steam bath at 100degrees celsius. The surface of the rod is insulated so that heat can flow only lengthwise along the rod. The cross-sectional area of the rod is 2.50 cm^2 , its length is 120 cm, its thermal conductivity is 380 W/m * K, its density is 1.00 x 10^4 kg/m^3, and its specific heat capacity is 520 J/ kg * K. Consider a short cylindrical element of the rod 1.00 cm in length.

1.If the temperature gradient at the cooler end of this element is 140 deg C/m, how many joules of heat energy flow across this end per second?

2.If the average temperature of the element is increasing at the rate of 0.250 deg C/sec, what is the temperature gradient at the other end of the element?

I have gotten number 1 to be 13.3W and know it is correct, but really need help on number 2.

I have been trying to find what the average temperature gradient even is and am not successful. If anyone knows anything about how to do this problem, your posts would be greatly apprecitated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Answer to Question 2: The average temperature gradient of the element is equal to the rate of change of temperature with respect to length, or in this case, 0.250 deg C/sec. Therefore, the temperature gradient at the other end of the element is also 0.250 deg C/sec.

I understand your frustration in not being able to find help on this question so far. Let me try to assist you with the second part of the question.

To find the temperature gradient at the other end of the element, we can use the heat conduction equation:

Q/t = -kA(dT/dx)

Where:
Q/t is the rate of heat flow (in joules per second)
k is the thermal conductivity of the rod
A is the cross-sectional area of the rod
dT/dx is the temperature gradient
x is the distance along the rod

We know that the rate of heat flow at the cooler end is 13.3 W (as you calculated in the first part of the question). We also know that the length of the element is 1 cm. Substituting these values into the equation, we get:

13.3 W = - (380 W/m*K)(2.50 cm^2)(dT/dx)

Solving for dT/dx, we get:

dT/dx = -0.021 deg C/cm

This means that for every 1 cm increase in length along the rod, there is a decrease of 0.021 deg C in temperature. We can use this value to find the temperature gradient at the other end of the element.

Since the length of the rod is 120 cm, the temperature gradient at the other end can be calculated as:

dT/dx = (0.021 deg C/cm)(120 cm) = 2.52 deg C

Therefore, the temperature gradient at the other end of the element is 2.52 deg C per 1 cm. I hope this helps you with the second part of the question. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

1. What should I do if I can't find help for my question?

If you are unable to find help for your question, there are a few steps you can take. First, try searching for your question using different keywords or phrases. You can also try reaching out to online forums or communities related to your topic. Additionally, consider consulting with a mentor, colleague, or professor who may have knowledge or expertise in the subject.

2. Why is it important to seek help for my question?

Seeking help for your question is important because it can provide guidance and support in finding a solution. It allows you to gain insights and perspectives from others, and can also prevent potential mistakes or errors. Seeking help can also save you time and effort in finding a resolution on your own.

3. How can I effectively ask for help with my question?

When asking for help with your question, it is important to provide as much detail and context as possible. This includes stating what you have already tried, what specific issue you are facing, and any relevant background information. It is also important to be respectful and grateful for the assistance you receive.

4. What resources can I use to find help for my question?

There are numerous resources you can use to find help for your question. Some options include online searches, forums or communities related to your topic, consulting with a mentor or colleague, and reaching out to professionals or experts in the field. You can also consider utilizing online tutorials or courses, books, and other educational materials.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for questions I cannot find help with?

To improve your problem-solving skills for questions you cannot find help with, it is important to practice critical thinking and analytical skills. This includes breaking down the problem into smaller parts, considering different perspectives and solutions, and implementing trial and error. Additionally, continue learning and expanding your knowledge in the subject area to better equip yourself for future challenges.