1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please i need a fast help

1. Oct 12, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data[/b]
    on this compound ( CH3COOC2H5)
    what is the
    1) atom ratio of C to O ?
    2) mole ratio of the same

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2008 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

How many carbon atoms? How many oxygen atoms?

4. Oct 12, 2008 #3
    can i add you on my email..
    to help me easier?

5. Oct 12, 2008 #4

Astronuc

Please show the work.

Borek provided the method for part 1.

How are atoms and moles related?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  6. Oct 12, 2008 #5
    please i have more question..

can i get your email?

7. Oct 12, 2008 #6

Astronuc

Please do not request emails. Please ask questions in the forum in the thread. That is the point of the forum.

8. Oct 12, 2008 #7
    i need them fast .. so, can you concentrate with me??

9. Oct 12, 2008 #8

Jonathan Scott

Gold Member

Chemistry is not my subject, but I thought a "mole ratio" was simply the numerical ratio of the number of moles of molecules needed to make a balanced reaction, or in certain cases where the substance doesn't come in molecules, it's in terms of the basic unit, atom or ionic formula. (It can then be multiplied by the molecular or unit weight to determine appropriate ratios of masses of reactants). For example, if the reactants are hydrogen and oxygen gases (H2 and O2) forming water (H2O) then the mole ratio of hydrogen to oxygen is 2:1, the same as the atom ratio, but if one is reacting solid carbon (where the unit is C) with oxygen gas (O2) to make carbon dioxide (CO2) then the mole ratio is 1:1 but the atom ratio is 1:2. Can a chemist confirm that this is correct?

Since O is not a molecule, and for that matter neither is C the "mole ratio" part of this question doesn't make much sense to me, and appears to require an additional assumption. I would personally state my assumption and answer the question on that basis.

10. Oct 12, 2008 #9

Borek

When explaining moles I like to refer to the mole as "overgrown dozen" - just like dozen is 12 objects, mole is 6.02*1023 objects. You may have dozen atoms, dozen molecules, you may have mole of atoms, mole of atoms. Generally speaking you may have mole of cars (not that it makes any sense, but technically that's correct).

See above - mole doesn't have to refer specifically to chemically sound molecules (although it usually does). In this case it just refers to the ratio of numbers of atoms.

11. Oct 12, 2008 #10

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you need it fast, then get to work using what you have been told already.

To solve this question you need to answer Borek's question from post #2: how many C atoms and how many O atoms are in the molecule CH3COOC2H5 ? Spending time on anything else (like asking for the email address of anybody who will talk to you) is not a good use of your time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?