1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please I need Help

1. Jul 10, 2013 #1
    Please I need Help!!

Hello everyone,
    I am going to appear in interview for MS Physics. They asked to prepare Classical, Quantum and statistical mechanics and Mathematical methods for Physics. Please guide me what kind of questions should I prepare for interview and secondly please suggest me any site or book to prepare these sections.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2013 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you're just doing a review, I recommend going through Boas' "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences". It's a great reference.

4. Jul 15, 2013 #3
    Thank you for your advice lisab. I will go through it

5. Jul 15, 2013 #4
    I'm not sure how an "interview" on these subjects would go, will they quiz you on pen and paper or informally on a blackboard? I sure hope so or it would be extremely awkward.

Perhaps read a few chapters from Landau's mechanics (or the whole thing, it's pretty short) and review some practice problems from your past courses... If it's not actual problem solving you're being tested on, I don't know what they'd ask you. I can come up with some questions of my own:

What is wrong with deriving the power output of a black body using classical thermodynamic arguments? (ie: what's wrong with the Rayleigh-Jeans law and how the problem is solved). Similar for the specific heat of solids at low temperatures, non-linear dependence that comes from QM arguments.

What is the advantage of Lagrangian mechanics over Newtonian methods? Maybe solve the double or triple pendulum, or a point mass in a rotating cone/tube or something.

What's the difference between the classical and quantum HO and how do you recover the classical regime from the latter?

Work out the ideal gas law from first principles? Or Planck's law.

Describe the Stern-Gerlach experiment and what are its consequences?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook