Find Magnitude and Angle of Vector B

• Thread starter kevinf
  • Start date
In summary, we are given information about two vectors, A and C, and need to find the magnitude and angle of vector B. Using the given information, we can find the x and y components of each vector and then use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the resultant vector. When finding the angle of the resultant vector, we must take into account the negative components of vector C and add 180 degrees to the angle.
kevinf
please... need urgent help about vectors

Homework Statement

in the sum vector a + vector b = vector c, vector a has a magnitude of 12.0m and is angled 40.0 degrees counterclockwise from the +x direction, and vector c has a magnitude of 15.0m and is angled 20.0 degrees counterclockwise from the -x direction

a)what is the magnitude
b) what is the angle (relative to +x) of vector B.

The Attempt at a Solution

i first found the x and y component of each vector:

so for vector a the x component would be 12 cos(40) and the y component would be 12 sin(40). for vector C the x component would be 15 cos (20) and the y component would be 15 sin (40). so do i just add the x components of the 2 vectors and the y component of the 2 vectors, do pythagorean theorem and find out what the magnitude is.
so would i be (12cos(40)*15cos(20))^2+(12sin(40)+15sin(20))^2 and then square root?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's the right idea.
Draw a triangle, where the first side is 12m at 40deg above X, then from the end of that draw a line 15m at 20deg below X, then draw a closing line back to the start - this is the resulatant vector.

Your problem said the second vector is at a 20 degree angle counterclockwise from the minus x direction. If that's not a typo, you need to think about whether the components of the second vector are positive or negative.

yeah, its not a typo, so the second vector will have negative x and y right? does the problem change if vector b is the unknown not vector c.
so what do you guys get, i am just checking my answers. i got 26.59 for the magnitude and 28.87 degrees. http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/1294/image0027nb2.jpg

Last edited:
bump...

If b is unknown, then b = c-a, that is, you subtract the components of a from the components of c. So your magnitude above looks like it is correct.

but i don't think i subtracted it though, i added Ax and Bx and Ay and By. so my answer in the pic is correct? and i think i get the same answer even if i subtracted

Last edited:
Your Cx and Cy should both be negative, not positive (which should be clear from your picture). Then, since you are subtracting the positive A components from the negative C components, both terms in both Rx and Ry should be negative. Then, your magnitude of R is correct (I didn't actually check the numbers), but your angle is off by 180 degrees, since both Rx and Ry are negative.

so i add 180 to my theta since both rx and ry are negative going to third quadrant. and the R would be the same because i square it later in the pythagorean theorem, making it positive right?

bump...

Right! (The magnitude of a vector is always positive.)

1. What is the formula for finding the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector can be found using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the magnitude (length) of a vector is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of its components. In other words, if a vector has components A and B, its magnitude can be calculated as √(A^2 + B^2).

2. How do you find the angle of a vector?

The angle of a vector can be found using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions use the components of the vector to determine the angle. The formula for finding the angle is tan^-1 (B/A), where A is the horizontal component and B is the vertical component of the vector.

3. What is the difference between magnitude and direction of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector refers to its length or size, while the direction of a vector refers to the angle it makes with a reference axis. In other words, the magnitude determines how far the vector extends, while the direction determines the orientation of the vector.

4. How do you represent a vector visually?

Vectors are typically represented using arrows, where the length of the arrow represents the magnitude and the direction of the arrow represents the direction of the vector. The vector is usually drawn from the origin to the point where it ends.

5. Can a vector have a negative magnitude?

No, a vector cannot have a negative magnitude. The magnitude of a vector is always a positive value, as it represents the length of the vector. However, the components of a vector can be negative, which can affect its direction and angle.