1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please need help

1. Sep 26, 2007 #1
    please... need urgent help about vectors

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

in the sum vector a + vector b = vector c, vector a has a magnitude of 12.0m and is angled 40.0 degrees counterclockwise from the +x direction, and vector c has a magnitude of 15.0m and is angled 20.0 degrees counterclockwise from the -x direction

a)what is the magnitude
    b) what is the angle (relative to +x) of vector B.

3. The attempt at a solution

i first found the x and y component of each vector:

so for vector a the x component would be 12 cos(40) and the y component would be 12 sin(40). for vector C the x component would be 15 cos (20) and the y component would be 15 sin (40). so do i just add the x components of the 2 vectors and the y component of the 2 vectors, do pythagorean theorem and find out what the magnitude is.
    so would i be (12cos(40)*15cos(20))^2+(12sin(40)+15sin(20))^2 and then square root?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2007 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's the right idea.
    Draw a triangle, where the first side is 12m at 40deg above X, then from the end of that draw a line 15m at 20deg below X, then draw a closing line back to the start - this is the resulatant vector.

4. Sep 26, 2007 #3

Avodyne

Science Advisor

Your problem said the second vector is at a 20 degree angle counterclockwise from the minus x direction. If that's not a typo, you need to think about whether the components of the second vector are positive or negative.

5. Sep 26, 2007 #4
    yeah, its not a typo, so the second vector will have negative x and y right? does the problem change if vector b is the unknown not vector c.
    so what do you guys get, i am just checking my answers. i got 26.59 for the magnitude and 28.87 degrees. here's my work just to clarify my explanation

6. Sep 26, 2007 #5
    bump...

7. Sep 26, 2007 #6

Avodyne

Science Advisor

If b is unknown, then b = c-a, that is, you subtract the components of a from the components of c. So your magnitude above looks like it is correct.

8. Sep 26, 2007 #7
    but i don't think i subtracted it though, i added Ax and Bx and Ay and By. so my answer in the pic is correct? and i think i get the same answer even if i subtracted

9. Sep 27, 2007 #8

Avodyne

Science Advisor

Your Cx and Cy should both be negative, not positive (which should be clear from your picture). Then, since you are subtracting the positive A components from the negative C components, both terms in both Rx and Ry should be negative. Then, your magnitude of R is correct (I didn't actually check the numbers), but your angle is off by 180 degrees, since both Rx and Ry are negative.

10. Sep 27, 2007 #9
    so i add 180 to my theta since both rx and ry are negative going to third quadrant. and the R would be the same because i square it later in the pythagorean theorem, making it positive right?

11. Sep 27, 2007 #10
    bump....

12. Sep 27, 2007 #11

Avodyne

Science Advisor

Right! (The magnitude of a vector is always positive.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?