1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please, Please Help Me Out Ideas, Ideas

1. Feb 9, 2005 #1
    Please, Please Help Me Out!!! Ideas, Ideas

My physics group has been given an PROJECT to come up with some original experiment ideas :surprised . The experiment needs to be recording a 'sensible' variable. I came up with a great idea of building a resonance collumn, like a matchstick building and trying to see at which frequencies it becomes unstable.
    My teacher said it was a 2nd yr university project, really complicated,blah. :grumpy:
    Anyway, we have just 4 more days to come up with ideas of original, not textbook experiments and i was wondering whether anybody has any gr8 suggestions. I'm sort of in a panic now so PLEASE help out :confused:
    Any help will be appreciated o:)
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Alright, how about the non-linear pendulum:

[tex]\frac{d^2\theta}{d t^2} + (g/L)\sin{\theta} = 0[/tex]

Don't see this one much in undergrad (I think). Did you know it can be used to model the motion of a pendulum on a rigid rod that you push so hard it goes round and round? Well I'm pretty sure, never comparred the calculations, which I've done, to a real pendulum. Maybe you can though? Anyway if you choose to use it, either me or the group here can show you how to solve it in terms of "elliptical" functions (not complicated).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?