PLEASE PLEASE HELP - Qu on Light refraction

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the angle that a light ray makes with the normal when it emerges from a block of crown glass covered by a sheet of water. The correct answer is 55 degrees, and this can be determined without using Snell's law as long as the interfaces are perfectly parallel. The student will confirm with their teacher on Monday to ensure their answer is correct.
ryanvoy
A block of crown glass (refractive index - 1.52) is covered by a sheet of water (refractive index - 1.33). a ray of light incident on the water with a angle of incidence of 55 degrees. find the angle that this ray makes with the normal when it emerges from the glass...

PLEASE help, this is the only question i can't do...

thanks,

Regards Ryan Voy

ryanvoy@hotmail.com

Physics news on Phys.org
HINT: Apply Snell's Law at each of the three interfaces.

thanks i knew i had to do that but I am getting a different answer to the textbook,

My answer - 32.61 degrees'

text books answer 69.4 degrees

sorry 4 the trouble

Thanks regards Ryan

ryanvoy@hotmail.com

The answer should be exactly 55 degrees, and you can do this without even invoking Snell's law explicitly. As long as the sides of all the interfaces are perfectly parallel, the exit ray in the same medium has to be parallel to the incident ray in that medium.

EDIT : This is assuming that the glass is covered on only one side with water and the final ray emerges into air.

:smile: Thanks i will check Monday with the teacher, hopfully its right :smile:

Regards Ryan,

ryanvoy@hotmail.com

1. What is light refraction?

Light refraction is the bending of light as it passes through a medium with a different density. This causes the light to change direction and appear to be distorted.

2. How does light refraction occur?

Light refraction occurs when a beam of light passes from one medium to another, such as from air to water. This change in medium causes the light to slow down and bend, resulting in the phenomenon of refraction.

3. What is the law of refraction?

The law of refraction, also known as Snell's law, states that the angle of incidence (the angle at which the light enters the medium) is equal to the angle of refraction (the angle at which the light bends) multiplied by the ratio of the two mediums' indexes of refraction.

4. What is the index of refraction?

The index of refraction is a measure of how much a given material can bend light. It is defined as the ratio of the speed of light in a vacuum to the speed of light in the medium. The higher the index of refraction, the more the light will bend when passing through that medium.

5. What are some real-life examples of light refraction?

Some common examples of light refraction include the bending of light through a prism, the mirage effect in the desert, and the appearance of objects underwater being distorted due to the change in medium. Glasses and lenses also use the principle of refraction to correct vision impairments.